Netbook/laptop/tablet thing for school/photoshop/autocad

penginchan

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Hi! I need some sort of awesome laptop/tablet device so I can succeed and not fail miserably over the next couple years of [strike]school[/strike] my life, but alas, I know practically nothing about such devices. So that's where you come in, you genius tech person, you! :D (Seriously, assume I know absolutely nothing whatsoever, because that isn't so far from the truth.) I think I can do 700-800 dollars max.

All I need is some sort of netbook/tablet whatever that I can AutoCad, Photoshop, and do school assignments with. I have a ton of music, and I'll probably be interneting and skyping at all other times. << That is all.

I don't want a straight out tablet because I type a lot, and those touch keyboards are painfully annoying, but I wasn't looking at a straight out laptop because the lack of a touch screen that I can draw on is just as painful for me. I think I want to avoid those plug in tablets... (I've tried them but I do not think they are for me...) I was looking at this thing and thought it might be the awesome compromise I'm looking for?

ASUS Eee PC T101MT-BU37 10.1" Tablet Netbook Computer

It looks pretty cool and as far as I know it will work fine! But like I said, I know practically nothing about computers. So do you think that will work or do you think there is a super awesome better option that isn't a million billion dollars for me? :D Thanks!

Hello penginchan;
Not a good choice for Photoshop/Autocad work. It's Atom N570 CPU is very weak (PCMark Vantage score: 1742). And it's 1024 x 600 LCD screen doesn't meet the minimum requirements for Autocad or Photoshop.
Most of the pure tablets don't run Windows.

For decent Photoshop/Autocad performance you probably need to be looking at mainstream notebooks with something like a Core i5-2410 (PCMark Vantage score: 6475) or better CPU.

overclockingrocks

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
for the price rang if you want a tablet style PC take a look at possibly a used Lenovo Thinkpad X201 or something of that nature. You'll get an i series CPU that will easily handle your needs along with the HD3000 graphics that while nothing stellar for gaming will handle 2D CAD and Photoshop just fine.