Add a single rank RAM to laptop

PcCustomer

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Hi guys ; since the local store has the deals ; I decided to buy some sticks to upgrade the laptop (Gateway NV59c20v : i3-370M ; 1x2gb DDR3 1333 Samsung)

My RAM is a dual ranks one ; (2 ranks 8 banks) ; in the Samsung site ; they say the configuration is 16 chips

The store has Patriot Signature XXXS1 (sorry can't remember the part number) ; S1 mean it's a single rank ;

My question is : Will my laptop accept new Ram ; and better ; run in dual channel ? I saw lots of folks had to RMA due to the "rank" problem ?

Thanks in advance :D

Solution
On the gateway website: http://support.gateway.com/s/notebook/2010/gateway/nv/nv59C/NV59Csp2.shtml#sup_5

It says your model number NV59C (20v being Vietnamese correct?) supports 2 DIMMs of up to 4GB each. If you upgrade, buy two of the same sticks. Don't mix and match! Replace the old one and you should be fine. The ranks mean if it has chips on one side of the stick or both sides. I really don't think it matters too much. Shouldn't really worry. If you upgrade passed 4gb remember that you need a 64bit operating system (x64) to use all of it.

Ragnell

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
On the gateway website: http://support.gateway.com/s/notebook/2010/gateway/nv/nv59C/NV59Csp2.shtml#sup_5

It says your model number NV59C (20v being Vietnamese correct?) supports 2 DIMMs of up to 4GB each. If you upgrade, buy two of the same sticks. Don't mix and match! Replace the old one and you should be fine. The ranks mean if it has chips on one side of the stick or both sides. I really don't think it matters too much. Shouldn't really worry. If you upgrade passed 4gb remember that you need a 64bit operating system (x64) to use all of it.

Solution

PcCustomer

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Thanks ; Ragnell :D

I bought a kit and a stick to test ; both cases work beautifully :D
I asked this question since lots of folks on newegg had to RMA due to those "rank" and "chip numbers" problems .
Who know my laptop is picky or not :D

And yes ; greeting from a Vietnamese friend :D

PS :AFAIK ; the ranks of the RAM is sometime different from the layout . I know it's a single one because the part number .