Best laptop?

computernewb

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
hi. im looking to buy a very high end laptop for gaming and other things. What are the best laptops out there? (im not looking for a mac) any suggestions?

computernewb

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
ahh ok

1. What is your budget? around $5000

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? around 17 inches

3. What screen resolution do you want? not sure. something good

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? portable. but dont mind if its a bit on the heavy side

5. How much battery life do you need? good battery life. not something that will die quickly

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? Starcraft, crysis 2, etc on medium to high

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.). browsing web, typing, watching movies

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? around 500 gb should be plenty

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
was looking at mtech but not sure how good their laptops are. they claim to have the fastest laptop
http://www.mtechlaptops.com/laptop%20compare%20page.htm

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? hopefully 5 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? DVD/ blueray player. dvd burner optional

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. not sure what brands are good for laptops

13. What country do you live in? USA!

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I hope this can help people find their ideal notebook.

1. Is 12.1 lbs (or 14lbs with AC adapter) OK with you?
5. When configured as the 'best notebook' you're looking at about 30 min on battery.
6. $5000 is wayyyyy too much to run SC2 & Crysis 2 on High graphics settings.

When do you plan to get this notebook?

computernewb

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010

14 lbs is fine.

wow 30 mins of battery is pretty bad. i was hoping for around 2 hours lol.

mayb around $3000 then. i would like a solid laptop that will last several years without breaking or being outdated.

Did you check out the "fastest laptop in the world" on the m tech website? what is your opinion on it? do you think the battery on that will last longer than 30 mins?

i probalby want to get a laptop within the next month

thanks! :wahoo:

Nothing really that special about MTECH's D9F. Quite a few other boutique builders are making similar notebooks with the same parts. Like the Eurocom Panther, Malibal Nine X7200 or AVADirect Clevo X7200 (review), plus many others.

Here is a good example of a $2300 notebook that is 'good enough' to run SC2 and Crysis 2 on High graphics settings: MSI GT783R-658US 17" Notebook
Core i7 2670QM(2.20GHz) CPU, 12GB RAM, 1.5TB 7200rpm HDD, Blu-Ray Burner 17.3" 1920x1080 LCD w/ GeForce GTX 580M.
Battery life should be in the 2-2.5hr range.
2yr warranty and 1yr accidental damage policy.

perfectblue

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
Your requirement can be satisfied with laptops as cheap as $1500 like
MSI G Series GT780DX-406US Notebook Intel Core i7 2670QM(2.20GHz) 17.3" 12GB Memory DDR3 750GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570M or ASUS G74SX-DH71 Notebook Intel Core i7 2670QM(2.20GHz) 17.3" 12GB Memory DDR3 1.5TB HDD 7200rpm Blu-ray-enabled DVD±RW/CD-RW NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M.

And as mentioned above, the latest 580M GPU laptop is more than enough too. There are many re-sellers like malibal, eurocom, xoticpc, gentechpc, etc who assemble many such laptop brands like MSI, ASUS, SAGER, MSI barebones. They will provide extra support throughout the lifetime too.

Or if you dont want to waste time on configurations, there is always Alienware MX18, which getting it working perfect on the first shot is anybody's guess. :sarcastic:

Good luck!

RAW-BERRY

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008

Unless you plan on using this laptop as your primary storage device and you regularly use blu-ray technology, I suggest http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230142

It's exactly the same as the other Asus laptop with a smaller HDD and DVD-Drive instead of Blu-ray. The other specs are the same.