I cannot log on to the internet with my laptop. When I chick on the Explorer ico

tamanns

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
I cannot log on to the internet with my laptop. When I chick on the Explorer icon the web page say that I'm working off line. Also when I go through repair cycle I get a message the "it could not repair because it did not complete giving me a new IP address. And finally I also get a message to contact my network manager. Can you help?

#1 - The obvious question is... do you have internet service?

#2 - If yes, then are you connected via wired or wireless?

#3a - If wired, then is your laptop connected to the modem or router with a wire?

#3b - If wireless, then do you have a wireless modem or wireless router? Does the laptop have a wireless network card?

#4 - If you have a wireless modem / router, did you enter the correct password (if it is password protected)?

#5 - Is the wireless modem / router setup to only allow specific wireless devices to access the network? This is generally known as an "access list" where you must enter the MAC address (not to be confused with a MAC computer) of each device you want to allow access to the wireless network. Every wireless device has a unique MAC address where it is a PC, laptop, MacBook, Android phone, Kindle, Nook, etc.

MAC = Media Access Card.

TRENDING THREADS