Help me find a new laptop

AndreV

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
Hello everyone,

Recently my beloved Asus A7SV crapped out on me after a long time, and since the repair is quite expensive (need new mb), I decided to just buy a new one.

Now, things to be considered:

I already have a powerhouse desktop (which I built after a lot of help from this forum, the store I bought it from even sent an article to the most popular pc magazine here in portugal so thanks for that :)), so I dont really need an over the top laptop.

Budget: Something between 600€-1100€ (700$-1400$ +/-)

Size: Preferably around 17", but if worth it, I'll take a 15" without a problem, especially since most of the time it'll be connected to a LCD.

Brand: I've been a faithful Asus user for years, they've always treated me quite well, but I've also had good experience with the most recent Acer laptops so I'm also considering them. Bottom line, I care more for the stability, reliability and bang for buck than the brand.

Use: Mostly for watching movies, surfing the web. I will only play 1 or 2 games on the laptop, which are League of Legends and Dota 2, so it doesn't need to have a huge graphics card.

Most important thing for me: Keyboard. It has to be comfortable, durable and full sized. I hate keyboards without the numpad.

I've already been checking a few models, mostly Asus, but none has really clicked with me.
I must confess, if the price wasn't so high, I'd probably buy a Macbook.

Please advise me since I'm off the game when it comes to Laptops.

Thanks!

AndreV

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
Hello,

Been checking those advices.

The U31SD is a 13" laptop, and I'm only looking for 15" and over.
Reviewers don't seem fond of the N53SV's keyboard, and that is a huge turnoff for me.

The HP DV7 does seem like a good choice, even though I've had bad experiences with HP laptops, but one must always give the benefit of the doubt so I'll definitely look into it further.

WR2, I know the $/€ doesn't work that away, but I wanted to give an idea of the value in general, and since there's no definite rule to the pricing of an item in two currencies, that felt the most "accurate" for me.

Another pointer, Blu-ray isn't a "must" for me, since I already have a PS3.

Thank to everyone for your indications, keep them coming!

AndreV

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
I've found this model, Asus K72JT-TY060V with an i5-480M and an ATI 6370 for 800€, what do you think? I couldn't find an english site with the whole specifications so I'll just post what I found:

Características:
- Processador : Intel Core i5-480M
- Sistema Operativo : Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
- Chipset : Mobile Intel® HM55 Express Chipset
- Ecrã : 17.3" HD+(1600x900)
- VGA: ATI Radeon HD 6370 1Gb VRAM
- Memória : 4GB DDR3 1066MHz SODIMM
- Disco Rígido : 640 GB SATA
- DVD Super Multi
- Leitor de Cartões : 3 in 1 card reader SD,MMC,MS
- Webcam
- Wireless

any opinions?

From a UK website: Asus N73SV 17.3" Notebook listed for £879 and is probably in your budget range.
Core i5-2410M, 6GB RAM, 640GB HDD, 17.3" 1600x900 LCD w/ GT 540M graphics. It does have the UK style AC power lead though.

Are there any Portuguese websites you like to work with?
In your budget range you should be looking for Core i5-2410M or better CPU and Geforce GT 540M / Radeon HD 6550M or better graphics cards.

For comparison @ a US website: ASUS N53SN-EH71 15.6" notebook $880
Core i7 2670QM 2.2Gjz quad core CPU, 4GB RAM, 640GB HDD, 15.6" 1366 x 768 LCD / GT 550M graphics
ASUS K73SV-DH51 17.3" Notebook $840
Core i5 2430M 2.40GHz dual core CPU, 4GB RAM, 750GB HDD 17.3" 1600x900 LCD w/ GeForce GT 540M and Blu-Ray optical drive

AndreV

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
Thanks for your help,

I usually work with 2 stores. They aren't available in English but i'll just post the link to the laptops sections and it's pretty much self-explanatory from there.

http://www.mhr.pt/catalogo/index.php?cat=355&sessao=1 (website has been having some issues these past few days, if it goes down, just wait 5 minutes)

http://www.alientech.pt/index.php?cPath=182_10

Unfortunately, the availability of all these variations in models over here is extremely limited.

For instance, this (http://www.sieric.pt/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=8215?utm_source=kuantokusta) is the only K73SV i found with a decent price. Seems like it has a better CPU but less storage and no blu-ray (of which I need either). Seems like a good deal?