New laptop - GPU/CPU questions?

ZeuSueZ

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2002
Hi guys,

OT: After searching the forum I cannot see this asked by others - but if I've overlooked a tread please let me know. Also If I'm not in the right place with the topic.

Currently I'm on the lookout for a new versatile laptop to all-round usage, primarily as a replacement for a old, cranky desktop that I'm using no longer, and as a supplement to my tablet.

Due to the selections in models, manufactures etc. I've settled on a 15,x" monitor but since I've pretty much is stepped off the hardware-know-how-train some time ago, two questions have popped on my screen:

- GPU choice
The usage is mainly dull office-work, data processing etc., some music and video playing and non-3D gaming (i.e. Poker and such) Is there any point in choosing a model with a separate Nvidia or ATI GPU? Or will the Intel 3000 HD satisfy me?

- CPU choice
I'm only looking a Intel-i processors, but how much difference is the on i3-i5-i7 devices from my perspective? The price difference looks to be some hundred USD so it isn't really a deal-breaker - but is it worth the extra $ for a performance difference?

Regardless to the rest of the system I'm planning to change the HDD to a SSD and at least 4 GB of memory. Also changing the OS to Ubuntu.

Thanks in advance
/ZeuSueZ

Not really. HD 3000 Graphics has performance comparable to some entry level dedicated graphics cards like the AMD Radeon HD 5450 or Nvidia Geforce 310M.
Intel HD 3000 Graphics review

Any of the current i3/i5/i7 Sandy Bridge CPUs will probably get the jobs done nicely and be a good upgrade over the 'cranky desktop' ...... what CPU did it have?

ZeuSueZ

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2002

It's an old AMD 2600xp+ from 200....4 I think? :D So basically _anything_ would probably feel like a quantum leap.