Laptop for 3D modelling & Animation

hearmenow

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction. I'm currently do 3D modelling at university. and between travels from home and back to uni. moving my computer up and down is becoming irritating.

I'm after a laptop in which will hopefully run Maya, UDK etc without much of a problem... Although my budget isnt to high I can probably manage around £600. (which would buy a pretty descent computer :(). Could anyone advise me on what to buy or if there is anything worth waiting around for which might be in my price range?

The websites I prefer are Ebuyer, ebay maybe. Aria etc.. but any other ones advised would be great and I am based within the United Kingdom :)

Many thanks in advance for the help!

Take care,

Aaron.

hearmenow

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Have seen a few laptop's

laptops with dedicated graphics cards etc nvidia gtx 560 so on, do they have the ability to have the graphics card / CPU etc upgraded in future or?
and maybe something to play a cheeky bit of SWTOR.

cbrunnem

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
a graphics card will not limit you to much as intel hd3000 will be good enough and just as good as any gpu in this price range. two things you need to look for right away. An i7 cpu and atleast 16gb of memory. A 7200 rpm should be standard but dont get less then that. if you cant get an i7 then save more. your render times difference between an i5 and a i7 are going to be rather large.

Alex4475

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
If you are looking for a laptop for £600 with an i7 you might want to check out a brand called Novatech, they are based in the UK and build computers without the extra branding costs you get with well known brands.

hearmenow

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Cool thanks for that Alex, still haven't actually got around to getting one lol. Seems like a descent website, thanks! xD