Cannot unscrew the screws.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikhilmitta

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I have a laptop that keeps shutting down during gaming.
I decided to open and clean for the first time.
Unfortunately, two screws seem to be stuck.
They just keep rotating while making noises at regular intervals when turning. I am guessing that somehow the threads have been worn out for some reason.
Is there any solution?

Thank you.

Solution

Gotcha, can fully picture it. Drilling out looks like the only option.

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
is it possible to lift up on the surface that screw/s/ are holding down while you twist those screws? Also is the screw spinning or is the screwdriver spinning as you could have stripped screws

nikhilmitta

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
No, each screw is on 2 different surfaces, so I cant lift up either surface.
Yes, I am applying some force when rotating the screws, so that the screw driver doesnt slip out of the grooves on the screw head.
What are stripped screws?

Traildriver

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
Try this... get a real thin blade of some type and get it under the head of the screwand pry gently up as you turn the screwdriver. That should get the threads of the screw to catch and start coming out of the chassis.

Alternatively, take it into a repair center and get them to drill them out.

A stripped screw is one that has its threads worn away (either on the screw or more probably the screw hole) such that the screw spins but does not advance out or into the case. Generally overtightening a screw is the primary cause.

nikhilmitta

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
The screws are actually inside a hole. Think of counter bored holes. There is no way to insert anything other than the screw driver shaft.
Guess I will have to take it to a service center.

Thanks anyway.

Traildriver

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010

Gotcha, can fully picture it. Drilling out looks like the only option.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.