Acer Aspire 1710

neilc

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
I know this machine is a dinosaur but it has served me well and for simple tasks it's fine but ..... it takes an age to boot and when it does the fan roars away even when it's idle. I've cleaned out the fan & ports, run defrag and registry clean outs all to no avail. OS XP Home, 1gb RAM, Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2793 Mhz
Regards
NeilC

Solution
On eBay I found a Acer Aspire 1710 Series Thermal Module / CPU Fan.
This is the stuff you'd be working with if you tried it yourself. A new part here, runs about $50.

60%20a15v7%20007n.jpg
Hello neilc;

Are you monitoring the system temps?
The high speed fan at idle might be an indicator the temps aren't under control.
And the CPU could be 'throttling' down to keep from being cooked. This could cause the CPU to run slower than normal.

neilc

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
I've installed the monitor and I'm getting readings of;

THRM - Min 44C / 111F Max 56C / 132F

ST380011A - Min 49C / 120F Max 49C / 120F

The only thing running is the monitor and Firefox - the fan is going pretty fast.

Regards, NeilC

neilc

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
CoreTemp is reading
Tj. Max - 93C
Core #0 - 57C

Min 47C
Max 58C
Load varying from 0 - 75%

Only Coretemp and Firefox running.

Thanks for all your help / advice.
NeilC

57-58C @ idle is higher than you want to see, but not that close to the max allowable 93C.
As you've noted the fan seems to be working hard to keep the temps limited even when in an idle state.

The 47C-58C is not so far off from the HWMonitor reported THRM 44C/56C so I think that THRM is in fact the CPU temps, just with a different label.

As far as I can judge you'll need to crack open the case and work on the internal cooling system. I think it needs to have thermal compound reapplied to the CPU and graphics chip heatsinks.

I found a Acer Aspire 1710 Service Manual online and it shows the disassembly method to get at the motherboard. But it doesn't go into much detail about the cooling system/heat spreader/fan that I'd feel comfortable using that guide alone.
It might be time to think about finding a repair technician and getting a quote.

neilc

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
Thanks for all the effort you've put into this WR2 - way beyond the call of duty!
I think I'll do as you recommend and get my local dealers tech department check it for me.
All the best,
NeilC