PC vs Apple macbook

Status
Not open for further replies.

nellien

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
I am about to buy a laptop for study. Normally i am a PC user but am thinking about a Macbook. I am concerned that it will be hard to convert from PC to Mac. I will need to be about to do word processing (windows 7 word etc) is this still possible on a macbook? I dont want to make my life harder than it has to be. If i have to relearn too much I will stick to a PC

Solution
They're both easy to learn, they are a lot similar than people think. The main issue is software compatibility, there are mac versions and pc versions and will not work on both. Although the files created from the software will work with each other. There is ms office for mac and the mac also has its own word processing software that works with .doc files. There is also openoffice which has pc and mac versions which is free and works with ms files. As said in your other thread, study doesn't take much resources and a pc will be cheaper.

k1114

Distinguished
They're both easy to learn, they are a lot similar than people think. The main issue is software compatibility, there are mac versions and pc versions and will not work on both. Although the files created from the software will work with each other. There is ms office for mac and the mac also has its own word processing software that works with .doc files. There is also openoffice which has pc and mac versions which is free and works with ms files. As said in your other thread, study doesn't take much resources and a pc will be cheaper.

Solution

iam2thecrowe

Distinguished
yes you can still install windows, word, excel etc on a mac. But then that defies the point of getting a mac. People only get macs to use software particular to a MAC. If your just using excel, word etc, then there is no point getting a MAC, your just wasting money. Some people get a MAC because they think they are better somehow, but theyre not, theyre just more expensive and more limited by MAC OS. They are less secure and just as/more prone to viruses, despite what moronic salespeople will tell you, I have had my fair share of experience with this. Macs are only for people in the graphic arts industry/music industry due to the software available, and even then similar alternatives exist for windows PC's too. So basically, unless there is some software that you MUST have a mac to use, that you want to use, then stay away from macs and save your money.

Word processing basics are basically the same. It boils down to the interface of the software you are using. For example, Word for PC and Word for Mac should be nearly identical with the exception that for the Mac, there is no right mouse button. I rarely use the right mouse button in Word for PC.

I suggest you test out a Mac if you have a friend who has one and doesn't mind you using it.

nellien

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
Thanks everyone. I have bitten the bullet and gone with a macbook pro. Yes there are lots of cheap PC's out there but i was sucked in by the slick feel of the mac after having a go on a friends. After a shaky start i am so far loving it ( I had issues straight away with telstra turbo usb broadband connection which freaked me out) but I have word installed and it's so far exactly the same-easy.

It was expensive but I have justified it as I never treat myself to anything brand spanking new.
All good i hope! thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.