Solved! A good laptop for under 650 (Please Help!)

ryanavolpi

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
1. What is your budget?

I'd like to keep it below 650$

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

Not important to me.

3. What screen resolution do you want?

Anything decent

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Portability is not really a factor as I hardly ever bring my laptop anywhere but occasionally I have too so a desktop is out of the question.

5. How much battery life do you need?

Once again not very high on my priority list but the more the merrier.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

I would like to be able to play Battlefield Play4Free and Battlefield Heroes on High settings and games like Starcraft 2 on Medium/High settings.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

A lot of photo editing with Gimp and maybe photoshop.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

Not all that important, anything over 400Gb will do just fine.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

www.CheetahDeals.com
www.tigerdirect.com

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

The longer the better but 3 years would be nice.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

Nothing fancy, DVD ROM/Writer is fine but blu ray would be a plus.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I've been looking at Hp and ASUS a lot.

13. What country do you live in?

The USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I would prefer it to be Refurbished or a good deal just because that usually means your getting a better computer for the same price. Thanks in advance. Any help at all would be appreciated beyond your wildest dreams.

Solution
The Envy 14 choice of Intel CPU is better but AMD will be able to handle all of the everyday task you need. On the other hand, for gaming performance, and I am not sure if dv6 hybrid CF the IGP 6620G in the A8 CPU with the 6750m or not, but the 6630m in the Envy 14 is about 20% slower than the 6750m without hybrid CF.

Pyree

Distinguished
Tell your brother to shell out another $60 for one of the refurb G73 (best performance per dollar) and use his muscle to hurl the 17 inch laptop, otherwise:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=notebooks&series_name=dv6zqe_series&a1=Category&v1=High%20performance
Select base model ($529.99), upgrade CPU to A8-3500, GPU to 6750m. Total price ($754.99), instant $100 off ($654.99), further discount use coupon code NBP65875 ($579.99). Tax?? I don't know, you have to add that on yourself if there is one. Have the advantage of a new laptop and therefore 1 year warranty.

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230216
Although cheaper, but there is no 1 year warranty and at the bottom end of gamable laptop. If you can get a good OC out of the GPU, it is good price.

But don't expect either of them to perform as good as the G73.

ryanavolpi

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
so would this:
Color dark umber edit
Operating system Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit edit
Processor AMD Quad-Core A8-3530MX Accelerated Processor (2.6GHz/1.9GHz, 4MB L2 Cache) edit
Graphics card 1GB GDDR5 Radeon(TM) HD 6750M Graphics [HDMI, VGA] edit
Memory FREE UPGRADE to 6GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm) edit
Hard drive FREE UPGRADE to 640GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
Primary battery 9 Cell Lithium Ion Battery edit
Display 15.6" High Def LED HP Brightview (1366x768) edit
Primary optical drive SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support edit
Personalization HP TrueVision HD Webcam with Integrated Digital Microphone and HP SimplePass Fingerprint Reader edit
Networking 802.11b/g/n WLAN and Bluetooth(R) edit
Keyboard Standard Keyboard with numeric keypad

Be better than the envy 14?

Pyree

Distinguished
The Envy 14 choice of Intel CPU is better but AMD will be able to handle all of the everyday task you need. On the other hand, for gaming performance, and I am not sure if dv6 hybrid CF the IGP 6620G in the A8 CPU with the 6750m or not, but the 6630m in the Envy 14 is about 20% slower than the 6750m without hybrid CF.

Solution