Looking for laptop advice for gaming/coding

GlennS

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
I'm looking to buy a laptop as a secondary machine, but I get scared off by manufacturer's websites. My main uses are gaming and coding and I intend to use it in the lounge and occasionally take it to lans when I'm too lazy to take my tower.

I would appreciate any advice/recommendations.

1. What is your budget?
I'm looking to spend around £1000

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Perhaps 17"? Not to sure about this.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1920*1080 or better screen. I don't want 3D. IPS would be lovely, but I recognise it might be pricey.
A nice bonus wobuld be to be able to plug it into my main monitor (Dell U2711 2560x1440, needs dual-link DVI or equivalent).

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Desktop replacement.

5. How much battery life do you need?
It'll be plugged in most of the time. Perhaps 2 hours in case I take it on a train?

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
The games I play aren't all that demanding, for example Team Fortress, so for graphics cards I'm thinking one of the higher end mobile ones, but nothing too mad.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Coding. As a result I'm thinking I need 4GB of RAM and one of the lower clockspeed i5 mobile quads.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
I'd like an SSD. Perhaps 250GB to 350GB.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
2 to 3 years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
I don't need an optical drive. In fact I'd prefer not to have one in order to save on size and weight, but I realise this isn't always an option.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I find Alienware machines a bit tasteless, so those are out.

13. What country do you live in?
UK

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I'll be using it with a mouse so I don't care about trackpad quality.
Similarly, I'll be using headphones and so don't need/care about inbuilt speakers.

Thanks for any assistance.

Hello GlennS;

(2) It's pretty important that you figure out if you want the 17" or 15" versions. Go window shopping and compare the two sizes/weights. Figuring it out AFTER you buy is never a happy situation.
(3) You'll want a laptop with a DisplayPort adapter to reach your bonus goal.
1920x1080 is available in both 15"/17" models as an option.

Look over the Dell XPS 17 (and XPS 15 too). Nicely equipped @ ~£1000:
Core i7-2670QM 2.20 GHz (Turbo 3.10 GHz) quad core CPU, 6GB RAM, 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 17.3" 1920x1080 LCD w/ Geforce GT 555M graphics card.
The only option I'd suggest besides the 1920x1080 LCD is the WiFi/Bluetooth combo.

For ~£830 you can get the XPS 17 configured with Core i5-2430M 2.40 GHz (Turbo 3.00 GHz), 4GB RAM, 750GB 7200rpm HDD, 7.3" 1920x1080 LCD w/ Geforce GT 550M graphics card.

Anzerou

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013
For £750 there is http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/MSI-CX61.htm

Intel® Core™ i7-4702MQ Haswell Quad Core Processor
15.6" Full HD Screen
Microsoft Windows 8 64bit
16GB DDR3 RAM
1000GB HDD
Blu-Ray
Dedicated GT 740M 2GB Graphics
HDMI
Bluetooth
USB3

No SSD in it, but that's something you could source separately from the remainder of the budget :)