Solved! Is HP Pavilion dv6-6135dx a good laptop?

RisingStart

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I would just like to give you a heads up, since I recently purchased this exact same model from TigerDirect, a few things to look out for that will save you loads of grief (or ANYONE ELSE who buys/has this laptop).

#1 - Do not reformat and reinstall using a regular Windows 7 disc before first, downloading a tool like DriverMax, and backing up ALL of the drivers. Several drivers and utilities are not available from HP (which sucks) or anywhere else. I am without my USB 3.0 ports currently. Some useful tools like the AMD Turbo monitor, I haven't been able to find anywhere else.

If you install Windows 7 from a flash drive (always use 64bit!!), make sure you use the USB 2.0 ports on the right hand side of the machine. The ones on the left are the 3.0 ports and they are not detected by the Windows 7 installer (but you can boot from them, weird huh?).

#2 - Do NOT ever EVER EVERRRR reset the BIOS to default configuration (if you flash it to a new BIOS, also get the KB update listed later here). This will reset hidden values you may not see, and if sp54714 hasn't already been installed, you will have to remove it and reinstall it to fix a chronic Blue Screen of death (BSOD) issue with the error code 0x00000109, 0x0000010E, 0x00000050 (the flavor changes).

Additionally, you can download the official Microsoft KB2551127 patch. This error is related to the duel graphics support in this machine (it also effects several other laptops, check your manufactures site for your own patch!!). If anyone tells you its a memory issue with this laptop, they are most likely wrong! Try the KB patch first!

I recommend the Microsoft KB patch, because it is much easier to uninstall/reinstall (and quicker then HP's half assed giant patch!).

#3 - Do NOT bother burning the restore disc. The refurbished models have a modified model number that adds an R, and the restore program via DVD will not recognize the laptop. I recommend doing NOTHING on first boot, but go backup everything as is with a ghosting program of some sort, and saving it. The built in restore will only work for FULL FACTORY RESTORE, do not bother restoring using MINIMAL mode. Minimal mode will get stuck in a loop, and you'll be forced to do a full factory restore anyway. Said factory restore does not have the KB patch installed by default, so the BSODs will start out of nowhere (this was my problem).

In short, keep the factory restore on the machine until HP issues a fix (I really hope they do). Others have used tools to modify the model number to allow for restoring.

#4 - If you want programs to detect the 6750M in the laptop for particular reasons (such as a hardware tool taking your information for some kind of beta program), you must download a modified BIOS that can be found via Google. It is still being tinkered with and is highly experimental. You can use this BIOS to turn on switchable graphics, but switchable graphics are buggy (probably why HP has yet to enable it in an official update). I am working on a write up in said BIOS thread that will explain a bunch of stuff to avoid headaches related to switchable graphics being enabled.

A modified BIOS will void your warranty and possibly do other nasty things! Your using it at your own risk.

Said BIOS also has other bugs, so avoid any other settings.

I hope these tips will give you an others looking into buying this laptop some good advice. I've spent a week just trying to correct my mistakes, and wanted to help others avoid the super frustration I have experienced!

TRENDING THREADS