Solved! Best laptop for arcitecture students

holzzloh

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
Hi im a first year architecture student and need to replace my laptop!

looking for a windows 7 32/64bit within £600-£800 able to run full adobe cs5.5 as well as autoCAD ect,

what would be the best graphics, processor / RAM possible with this budget?

also has anyone got any good brand / model suggestions?

Solution
Adobe software and autoCAD, while offering the beginnings of GPU compute acceleration, are still mainly CPU based. For this reason I would rule out any AMD Llano fusion based notebooks (in fact any Llano notebook at all).

You'll be wanting at least a High end Intel Core i5 dual core, preferably the quad core i7. Going for the quad core laptops can be a little tricky as a lot of these overheat causing damage to the components inside. I only recently saw a HP Pavilion DV6 running the quad core i7 2630QM @ 2.0GHz that was IDLING at 70°C. It was sounding like a jet engine under any kind of load and beginning to have BSOD issues.

If the budget can stretch a bit I'd recommend aiming for this GIGABYTE unit...

ukee1593

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
Adobe software and autoCAD, while offering the beginnings of GPU compute acceleration, are still mainly CPU based. For this reason I would rule out any AMD Llano fusion based notebooks (in fact any Llano notebook at all).

You'll be wanting at least a High end Intel Core i5 dual core, preferably the quad core i7. Going for the quad core laptops can be a little tricky as a lot of these overheat causing damage to the components inside. I only recently saw a HP Pavilion DV6 running the quad core i7 2630QM @ 2.0GHz that was IDLING at 70°C. It was sounding like a jet engine under any kind of load and beginning to have BSOD issues.

If the budget can stretch a bit I'd recommend aiming for this GIGABYTE unit: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-P2532N-Notebook-i7-2670QM-GT550M/dp/B00568LD5M/ref=sr_1_7?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1324814487&sr=1-7 GIGABYTE are well known for their Motherboards and Graphics cards and produce this unit in Taiwan. I have seen a number of reviews of the unit which claimed that the unit had a very strong build quality and low operating temperatures.

Either that or take a look at one of the Lenovo T series. These units are pretty reliable.

Solution

holzzloh

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011

the Gigabyte P2532N is a little out of my price range though,
I've been looking at some custom sony VAIO's and came up with this spec:

Processor: Intel® CoreTM i5-2430M 2.4 GHz
Operating system: Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium
Display: 43,8cm LCD 1600 x 900 + webcam
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® 410M GPU 1GB
Hard drive: 640 GB Serial ATA (5400 rpm)
Memory: 6 GB 1333MHz DDR3-SDRAM
Optical Drive: DVD disc drive

slightly worried about the graphics card though, is it any good?