PP-28l Dell laptop won't log off

batonrouge

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
My Dell PP281 has been slow lately but today it has been really stuck on a screen saying "Logging off". I tried control alt delete, pressing the power on button above the keyboard, and shutting the lid (I had set this to shut down when lid is shut), and none of these things works. It just keeps on logging off, logging off, etc. Truly mysterious is the fact that I went through the proper shut down process last night. I admit I left it once I had confirmed shut down and didn't close the lid or look at it again until this am when I pressed the power button to turn it on -- the button light was off. Any ideas of what to do?

farrengottu

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
when in doubt, back up your data and re-install windows. it may sound drastic but it will likely take half the amount of time to re-install windows than it would take to get it debugged and running smooth again.

batonrouge

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011

Thank you! I'm filing your answer away for the future -- a friend suggested I take out the battery, which i did, and it opened up fine.

farrengottu

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
oh if removing the battery fixed it then i misunderstood your question.

for the future you can hold down the power button when its on to REALLY turn it off. takes like 4 seconds, then remove the battery.
if its already off then yeah removing the battery is the way to go.
then either way you can start it up with a cleared system, as in nothing stored in the ram/caches. otherwise known as a cold boot.