Solved! Installing Win7 on my new SSD

Wheeler88

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
For starters I'm just getting into doing my own repairs and upgrades on my PC so bare with me!

Basically I just bought an 80GB Intel SSD. First thing I did was swap out my 500GB HDD, pop in that solid state and tried using my recovery discs to install my OS. Yea, that doesn't work. So I used the software (Intel Data Migration) that came with and I cloned over from the HDD to the SSD. Its pretty close to 70GB so I only have like 10GB left over of space. My question for you guys is, how do I get my Windows 7 over onto that SSD without taking up all my space?? I realize that OS is 15-20GB in size but can I basically start over with a working Windows 7 copy and only using up maybe a maximum of 30GB +/- onces its all said and done?? Thanks for any help!

Adam

Solution
Do you have the original install disc? - this is the normal way of doing things (there are others e.g. install from usb pen drive). make sure you disconnect the leads going into your HDD before installing onto your SSD. I don't think you'll need a different activation key here. You might need to phone microsoft for help in removing your original Windows install on the HDD - I've used Paragon Partition Manager & Acronis Disk Director to successfully help with this in the past (set active/boot/etc. I also have had all my windows installs confined to its own partition). Bear in mind that windows may make use of other disks (if present) to store hidden boot files.

Hopefully your system can see the SSD during the install process (don't need...

mesab66

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Do you have the original install disc? - this is the normal way of doing things (there are others e.g. install from usb pen drive). make sure you disconnect the leads going into your HDD before installing onto your SSD. I don't think you'll need a different activation key here. You might need to phone microsoft for help in removing your original Windows install on the HDD - I've used Paragon Partition Manager & Acronis Disk Director to successfully help with this in the past (set active/boot/etc. I also have had all my windows installs confined to its own partition). Bear in mind that windows may make use of other disks (if present) to store hidden boot files.

Hopefully your system can see the SSD during the install process (don't need to 'add drivers' etc) - get back to us if you've probs.

Later on you (within windows itself) can chose to pair down your windows install to save disk space (by uninstalling unneeded components).

Solution