Solved! 2nd Gen. Intel Core i3 2310M vs. AMD Quad Core A6 3400M also graphics

starrgazer

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
Looking for a laptop for myself this time and wondering which processor is better:

2nd Gen. Intel Core i3 2310M processor 2.1 GHz

or

AMD Quad Core A6 3400M 2.3 GHz Accelerated processor

AND

which graphics are better:

Intergrated Intel HD 3000

or

AMD Radeon HD 6250G Discrete-Class Graphics with up to 3016MB total graphics memory

All opinions and information will be appreciated! :)

Solution
It is an interesting question because the Intel cpu is a dual core with hyperthreading thus 4 logical cores vs an AMD quad core so then it comes down to 2.1 vs 2.3. I am kind of bias in that I have always used Intel so with the cpu I will go with the i3-2310m.
A discrete card will always be better than an intergrated chip so here I will go with the AMD RADEON 6250g. But the 6250 is intergrated onto the AMD quad core processor so it is also an intergrated chip and not discrete (seperate).
I would therefore go with the Intel i3 and the HD 3000 graphics , since in either case you cannot seperate the cpu from the gpu.

inzone

Splendid
It is an interesting question because the Intel cpu is a dual core with hyperthreading thus 4 logical cores vs an AMD quad core so then it comes down to 2.1 vs 2.3. I am kind of bias in that I have always used Intel so with the cpu I will go with the i3-2310m.
A discrete card will always be better than an intergrated chip so here I will go with the AMD RADEON 6250g. But the 6250 is intergrated onto the AMD quad core processor so it is also an intergrated chip and not discrete (seperate).
I would therefore go with the Intel i3 and the HD 3000 graphics , since in either case you cannot seperate the cpu from the gpu.

Solution
When you compare the performance benchmarks of the two options in the Big List of Mobile Processors (CPU Benchmarks):
Intel Core i3 2310M @ 2.1Ghz ranks #83
AMD A6-3400M @ 1.4Ghz ranks #143
The A6-3400M has TurboCore which will let a single APU core run @ 2.3Ghz under certain conditions. But when the Radeon HD 6520G IGP is also active with a 3D load (like while running Sims3) TurboCore isn't available due to thermal constraints.

Both should run Sims 3 on medium settings.

starrgazer

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
This laptop will be for myself...so no Sims for me..lol!(the previous thread was regarding a laptop for my daughter) But I do plan to use it for downloading music, pictures, playing games on Facebook, Skype and just generating documents (thus far). I've been looking at this laptop but not sure what the comparisons and pros/cons are between the AMD Quad Core A6 and an Intel i3 2310M processor (which seems to be very common)

HP Pavilion Pavilion dv6-6119wm with AMD Quad-Core A6-3400M Accelerated Processor 2.30 Ghz 4 MB L2 cache
6GB DDR3 SDRAM system memory (expandable to 16GB)
640GB SATA hard drive
AMD Radeon HD 6250G Discrete-Class Graphics with up to 3016MB total graphics memory

The salesman couldn't give me much information on the differences between the two CPU's so I thought I would get some better information here on the forums.