I want a small light portable computer to put my family history on for

Marie1

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
I am looking to buy a small, light, portable computer notebook or netbook to put my family history package on so that I can take it overseas to do research etc. I am not very technical so am asking what should I look at? And what features would I need, and is there anything you would advise to upgrade on what I bought. Thank you
Marie

Solution
Hello Marie1;

HP Pavilion dm1z ~$400-$425 @ 11.6" 3.5lbs is a sub-notebook - about halfway between a 'Netbook and a notebook.
More powerful than a 'Netbook and lighter and smaller than a standard 13"-15" notebook.
What this class of small notebooks/'Netbook doesn't have is a DVD/CD drive. So you'll want a USB thumb drive to backup all your work.
If you're going to be doing any photo editing you'll probably want the $25 upgrade to the E-450 APU.
Hello Marie1;

HP Pavilion dm1z ~$400-$425 @ 11.6" 3.5lbs is a sub-notebook - about halfway between a 'Netbook and a notebook.
More powerful than a 'Netbook and lighter and smaller than a standard 13"-15" notebook.
What this class of small notebooks/'Netbook doesn't have is a DVD/CD drive. So you'll want a USB thumb drive to backup all your work.
If you're going to be doing any photo editing you'll probably want the $25 upgrade to the E-450 APU.

Solution

Marie1

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011

Thank you very much, that is a great help, I will let you know how I get on
Marie

Marie1

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011

Happy New Year and thank you for the information
Best wishes
Marie