Dropped Magnet On Top of Laptop Now Screen is Black

lu1993ke

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Ok heres the deal. My brother dropped a magnet ontop of his Acer laptop, towards to top right hand corner of the laptop. Since then the screen is black. The only possible way the view things on the screen is by shining a light onto it. I plugged the laptop into my monitor and everything's fine I can see everything. I completely took apart the laptop to see if the magnet magically unplugged or moved any wires. All wires were fine and plugged in correctly.

Does anyone have any suggestions to what could have happened and how to solve it?

Thanks

Luke

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You are describing a display that the baclight is no longer working properly. Unless the magnet was very heavy or very powerful, it likely did nothing and the problem is coincidental.

Is this system still under warranty? If so, return it for repair.

If not, you may simply need to swap the display yourself.

Does the system work properly with an external display?

lu1993ke

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011

Yes the system works fine with an external display. That was an option I was thinking of (Installing a new screen) and it looks like I will be doing that.

G

Could also be the inverter, which is much cheaper and easier to replace. However if the display is LED ccfl backlit, there is no inverter because it is low voltage.