Motherboard and processor compatibility

coopjo45

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
Hi everybody,

I want to upgrade the processor on my laptop I have an Hp Pavillion dv6 and I followed the instructions to find the motherboard and i'm 95% sure this is the right one (motherboard 4096-MB, 1066 MHz DDR-3 DIMM 579156-001) If somebody can confirm this is right that would be greatly appreciated, the next question is which proccesors is this motherboard compatible with I really want to get the intel i7-2600k, but I am not sure if my motherboard will be able to support it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou

Solution
Ok here is the information on your laptop http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01754906&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3979380

So what does this tell us? The board that you are currently using is a "3" or "4" series board. These chipset would only support the Intel® Core™ 2 Duo and Intel Core 2 Quad mobile processors. It wouldnt support any of the 1st or 2nd generation Intel Core i3, i5 or i7 processors. Now the real problem with this is that when it comes to laptops they are very hard to upgrade and if you have to change out the motherboard for anything but a direct replacement you are better off just replacing the laptop altogether.

The Intel Core i7-2600k is a desktop processor that runs at...

AM2A

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
That's your Ram, not your motherboard. There's more than one dv6, so its hard to answer your question...anyway, its highly unlikely a 2600k would be OK. Even if it is supported (very doubtful) you'd probably run into heat issues and your battery would run down quickly.

IntelEnthusiast

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
The issue is that the HP DV6 custom built laptop that has been around for a while. So if you are using a current HP DV6 laptop that has a “6” chipset then you can use any of our mobile processor that use socket rPGA988B. With that socket you most likely would be able to use any of the 2nd generation Intel Core mobile processors. You can see a list of them at http://ark.intel.com/#mobile. But before you make up your mind as to the replacement processor you need to check with HP to ensure that it will work on your board.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

coopjo45

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
The issue is that the HP DV6 custom built laptop that has been around for a while. So if you are using a current HP DV6 laptop that has a “6” chipset then you can use any of our mobile processor that use socket rPGA988B. With that socket you most likely would be able to use any of the 2nd generation Intel Core mobile processors. You can see a list of them at http://ark.intel.com/#mobile. But before you make up your mind as to the replacement processor you need to check with HP to ensure that it will work on your board.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Hey thanks for your quick reply,

The model of my hp dv6 is 1245dx if that helps i bought this laptop three years ago, so does this mean that ill have to replace my motherboard. If i do have to what motherboard would you suggest my budget for the processor and motherboard would be around 600 dollars(so about 300 for i7-2600k and 300 for motherboard), as well if i replace my motherboard will my current ram work with the new motherboard. Thank you once again you've helped a lot!! P.S. I've messaged hp and hopefully they will get back with the specs of my motherboard soon.

IntelEnthusiast

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
Ok here is the information on your laptop http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01754906&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3979380

So what does this tell us? The board that you are currently using is a "3" or "4" series board. These chipset would only support the Intel® Core™ 2 Duo and Intel Core 2 Quad mobile processors. It wouldnt support any of the 1st or 2nd generation Intel Core i3, i5 or i7 processors. Now the real problem with this is that when it comes to laptops they are very hard to upgrade and if you have to change out the motherboard for anything but a direct replacement you are better off just replacing the laptop altogether.

The Intel Core i7-2600k is a desktop processor that runs at 95 TDP (thermal design power, this is the amount of cooling that the processor needs in order to keep running effectively) and would work well on any "6" series desktop board with 1155 socket but this processor would not work well in a laptop because of heating issues. A high power laptop processor may run at 45 TDP but there would be major problems trying to get anything that hot to run for long in a laptop.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Solution

coopjo45

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
Alright thanks,.....this blows any guess on how much i could sell me laptop for right now, what stores by used laptops for good rates that you know? I think i might go all out and make a gaming computer from scratch but i have a small budget rght now and will probably have to wait till spring cause i have a seasonal job