Please help me pick a laptop quickly!?

shadejedi

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
General Questions

1) What is your budget?
Absolutely no more than 1200, but would prefer less so I can add a SSD.

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
14-16"

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
Nope...I WANT a Radeon graphics card :)

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
If it were a good deal.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
Media (music and movies), some gaming (mainly SW TOR and Skyrim, with some BF3 if it'll run)

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
No

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
SW TOR, Skyrim, BF3

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
About 3

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
No issues

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista or Windows 7), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
Windows 7

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. Click here for Screen resolution information.
1600x900 or 1920x1080

13) Do you want a Glossy/reflective screen or a Matte/non-glossy screen?
Either or, not picky

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
A little bit, but not a ton

15) When are you buying this laptop?
Today or tomorrow

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
1-2 years (depends on price)

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need; 80GB to 640GB? Do you want a SSD drive?
640-1tb, yes, but I can add that myself

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive?
Would prefer blu-ray, but if not, I will live.

I need this to be available from either Best Buy (ugh, I know) or Amazon. I need to have the no interest promotions to be able to get a new lappy.

Solution
Since you said you needed it from Bestbuy or Amazon, I think this should be sufficient for you:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+Satellite+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i5+Processor+/+15.6%22+Display+/+6GB+Memory+/+750GB+Hard+Drive+-+Platinum/2883068.p?id=1218361268260&skuId=2883068

There aren't as many decent laptops out there with ATI graphics it seems, at least from Bestbuy, that also include a blu-ray drive. The only problem I see with this particular model is a rather low screen resolution...that being said, the 540GT isn't exactly a powerhouse of a graphics card, so the lower resolution will help greatly with game performance. It should be able to handle the games you mentioned at medium details at this res...

vertigo2720

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
Since you said you needed it from Bestbuy or Amazon, I think this should be sufficient for you:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+Satellite+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i5+Processor+/+15.6%22+Display+/+6GB+Memory+/+750GB+Hard+Drive+-+Platinum/2883068.p?id=1218361268260&skuId=2883068

There aren't as many decent laptops out there with ATI graphics it seems, at least from Bestbuy, that also include a blu-ray drive. The only problem I see with this particular model is a rather low screen resolution...that being said, the 540GT isn't exactly a powerhouse of a graphics card, so the lower resolution will help greatly with game performance. It should be able to handle the games you mentioned at medium details at this res, at least. Plus, it's 3D. That's kinda cool.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS