MSI GT683 graphics issue

shoot you

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Hi Guys,

I need help with troubleshooting my friend's laptop (MSI GT683X-i5185). It seems that the GTX560M doesnt run and the intel graphics kicks in when it is on battery power. We tried in Unigine Heaven benchmark and the results were 20FPS (when plugged) and 8FPS (when running on battery). He tried to update the GPU driver but its still the same. How can we "force" the GTX560M to run while on battery? (P.S. there is no physical switch to force the GPU)

Below are the specs

CPU Intel® Core™ i5-2410M Processor
OS Windows 7 (64 bit)
Chipset Intel® HM67
RAM DDR3 1333MHz SO-DIMM 8GB(2x4GB)
LCD 15.6 FHD (1920 x 1080)
GPU Nvidia® GeForce GTX560M (1.5 GB GDDR5)
HDD 500GB SATA 5400rpm
Optical Drive DVD Super Multi
Audio DYNAUDIO Sound Technology 2 HD Speakers+1 Subwoofer
Webcam HD Webcam
Card Reader support SD/SDHC/SDXC/MMC/MS/MS PRO/XD
LAN 10/100/1000
Wireless LAN 802.11 b/g/ n
Bluetooth V2.1+EDR
D-Sub (VGA) 1
HDMI 1
USB 2.0 port 2
USB 3.0 port 2
eSATA 1
eSATA/USB Combo N/A
Mic-in/Headphone-out 1 / 1

I'm not sure if it's possible but here's how to disable power saving(which may let you use 560M w/battery)
Go to "Control Panel\System and Security\Power Options" and you'll have some power saving profiles there,select the high performance and see if it makes any difference or not

shoot you

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
We have tried that.

I just received a reply from a friend and according to him this happens quite a lot with the highend GPU in laptops. There's some down clocking and undervolting involved since the battery cant handle the large power draw. I would still want to find a way to bypass it but he sent me a few links to another forum and it seems there is no solution to this as of now aside from a theory on flashing the Vbios.

I was hoping that someone had been able to solve this. Its sad that the capacity is stunted when you are not plugged to a socket.