Solved! Sony vaio motherboard shot, can i still transfer data

Solution
Sure... your data is on the Hard Drive. Just remove it from your PC and connect to another(desktop PC or use an adapter to connect to another laptop via USB) as a "slave". You can then transfer files all you want.

cirdecus

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2008

data is not stored on the motherboard.. so i see no reason why your data would be lost?

Your data is stored on a "hard drive". It is a component within your PC. You can access this component by removing it and installing it in a different PC. Or you can remove it and install it into it's own enclosure that can be hooked to a PC through a standard USB cable.

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Sure... your data is on the Hard Drive. Just remove it from your PC and connect to another(desktop PC or use an adapter to connect to another laptop via USB) as a "slave". You can then transfer files all you want.

Solution

Happykat

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011

Thks so much ~ how easy is the process your suggesting? any suggestions where I can have it done that won't cost an arm and a leg to get it done ~ thanks again ~

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Couple of screws to take out the Hard Drive... Don't know where you could bring it. BestBuy will cost you that arm and leg... and maybe another arm... other than that, just find someone on craigslist that may be able to help you... i dunno.

Or buy an adapter to connect it any PC by using a USB cable... the adapter may cost you $20-$3o...