I am seriously looking at this:
Acer Aspire AS7750G-6871, Notebook - $649 Canadian
Intel Core i5-2410M,
17.3" HD (1600x900) LED,
6GB RAM,
750GB HDD,
AMD Radeon HD 6850M 1GB Graphics,
DVD-RW, 802.11b/g/n, Gb LAN, Bluetooth, Webcam, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=710_577_371&item_id=040902

I am wondering:
1. Whether I will be able to upgrade the CPU to a quad-core at some point in the future?
2. Whether I can upgrade the graphics card? (I believe so, since it is a dedicated card).
3. Is this a good purchase at this price?
4. Will I be able to play Battlefield 3 at a respectable framerate? Everything I've read about the Radeon 6850M says it is a decently strong video card.

I currently have a Gateway M-7351u (two years old) and have been having issues with it completely freezing up, inexplicably, at random. I am in law school, working on essays and writing exams, and I need a reliable computer. I don't have time to figure out the specific issue, nor can I locate my Windows 7 disc to reformat (ridiculous, I know).

I will be graduating law school, so I am looking at 17" laptops as a desktop replacement for afterward. If anyone knows of a better deal, I appreciate the link!

Thank you!

Solution
Replacing the GPU on a laptop is almost like heart surgery. CPUs are a bit easier to upgrade.

However, why don't you buy a laptop that meets your needs without upgrading? I've seen so many good laptops on Black Friday. That deal is really good either way. I wonder if the store ships to the U.S.

chillmelt

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010
Replacing the GPU on a laptop is almost like heart surgery. CPUs are a bit easier to upgrade.

However, why don't you buy a laptop that meets your needs without upgrading? I've seen so many good laptops on Black Friday. That deal is really good either way. I wonder if the store ships to the U.S.

Solution

kamandor

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
'

Thanks for the reply! I decided to go ahead and order the Acer. I am very happy with the specs, and more than likely will never bother to replace the CPU or GPU. I was just wondering whether this was something anyone does.

With shipping (free) and taxes all included, the Acer was $735 Canadian. I went to Best Buy this afternoon just to see the deals they had and absolutely nothing compared at that price point, especially with the Radeon 6850M.

Very much looking forward to this, especially the 17" screen and 1600x900 resolution!