Freezes in video games and while watching youtube

andreasbond

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
Hey everyone,

First of all i'd like to apologize if this is the wrong place to put this topic but i couldn't find a better place then here...

I've bought an ASUS X5QSF laptop back in september.
specs: I7-2630QM
Nvidia GT 555M 2gb
6 GB DDR3 Ram
Windows 7 64bit
etc...

Yesterday morning I encountered the first problems with this laptop... I was watching some youtube clips and at some point it would freeze for about 20 seconds and the music would be stuck but still playing repeatidly.. same thing would happen when playing video games but then the computer would freeze constantly and needs a hard reboot. I've checked my anti virus (Norton Internet Security 2011 and Malwarebytes) and both havent found anything on my system that could be dangerous... I have also used windows memory diagnostic and it said that my RAM was just fine... Also system recovery didnt help at all and updating to the latest video and audio drivers didnt solve the problem.

Does anyone know what else I could do to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance,
Andreas

Hello andreasbond;

Run an extended time test using MemTest86 just to double check the RAM.
Without connecting to the internet shut down Norton Security 2011 and play a game.
Try running in Safe Mode and see if you're also having problems there.
Test with all un-needed programs/processes shown in Task Manager shut down.
Check Device Manager and make sure that there are no yellow or red 'flags' for any hardware.

andreasbond

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
Thanks for the quick reply! I will be running the Memtest86 soon to double check my RAM. I have already tried to shut down Norton and still the problem exists although this was with the internet connection turned on as the only game i have on this computer requires internet (world of tanks). have been in safe mode yesterday but couldnt test the game since it needed internet as well (should i try safe mode with internet?) Device manager seems fine so no problems there!

Try the Safe Mode with internet - but don't be surprised if your game won't run. A lot of helper programs/drivers/processes don't load in Safe Mode.
You might be able to find some 'demo games' that will run without needing an internet connection.

Also, while in Safe Mode with networking try one of the online virus scans.
It's always a good idea to get a double check on your installed AV every so often.
Like Panda ActiveScan: http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeusers/solutions/activescan/

andreasbond

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
RAM seems to be just fine after running the additional tests... Thank you very much for the online scan though! this one seems to be picking up a lot of infected files. I forgot to mention earlier that my norton had alread been scanning and saw files like (Backdoor.rustock.a , Backdoor.rustock.b, trojan. (something), Infostealer, hacktool.unreal.a etc) and looked them up and saw it was a virus but i assumed since both norton and this other antivirus didnt pick them up i thought it was just some mistake... what should i do now (since norton full scan in safe mode didnt give me any results)?

You did forget to mention all that.
It's potentially a serious problem since a trojan/backdoor can allow for the installation of a Rootkit. Which has the ability to 'hide and defend' itself from AV scanners.

andreasbond

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
There's not that much data on my computer so it's not that bad, just a few documents that I don't really need anymore... just that i hope my microsoft office license doesn't expire and all that kind of stuff... I'll update you with the results of the scan!

andreasbond

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
Scan said that my computer wasn't infected. So what are my options from here? Only chance that I have is to reinstall windows?

Thank you for all the help you've given me already! :)

andreasbond

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
Ok so now im back at my appartment (was at my grandparents place this weekend) and I am not having any problems anymore... So I'm assuming there are only 2 things that could cause this problem. Either its the wireless in my laptop (since i use cable in my appartment) or it is the power supply at my grandparents home (it doesnt have earthing wires so maybe that might cause some problem ?)...