[Solved] AMD QUAD CORE A-6

TimBuckridge

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
I buying a new Toshiba Laptop. I just got into WOW gaming and I can't afford $$$. I don't want to get stuck regarding Graphics and inability to upgrade. I'm looking at an AMDQuad Core A6-3400M... against the newer, more expensive AMD Quads. Do I really need to spend the extra $200+? (I'm on a IMac right now so can imagine how bad it is.)
I am not computer savy but I've been comparing Intel i3-i7 and NVIDIA and really just want to be able to upgrade when I have more money.

Thanks, Tim

Solution
With laptops, unless specifically designed for upgrades, you have NO option to upgrade the on-board video. Only high-end gaming and workstation class laptops/notebooks support this ability and even then your options are limited.

The A6-3400 option you are considering will be ok for low-end gaming and general purpose computing, but not for anything to advanced (in terms of graphics prowess).

What is your budget for a new rig?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
With laptops, unless specifically designed for upgrades, you have NO option to upgrade the on-board video. Only high-end gaming and workstation class laptops/notebooks support this ability and even then your options are limited.

The A6-3400 option you are considering will be ok for low-end gaming and general purpose computing, but not for anything to advanced (in terms of graphics prowess).

What is your budget for a new rig?

Solution

TimBuckridge

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Thank you for responding so fast!

I want to keep it below $700.

After reading through a lot of your posts, I thought I need to be more open. I haven't bought a computer in 6 years and lots changed.

I'm not locked into Toshiba (my old one has been good - 9 years)). Not locked into a laptop either. I don't want another Mac only because my friends all are on PC's and have trouble helping me.

Would I benefit by just getting a tower that I could hook up to my flat screen? I already have a Logitech keyboard and mouse.

Sorry for my confusion.
Thank you again for your help.
Tim

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Whether to use a notebook or a desktop depends on how you will use the system. For the money, you can get a lot of desktop (in terms of performance) over a notebook. You can also get a pretty decent notebook for that amount (but less processing performance but much greater mobility).

Would you want to buy a complete system, or build your own?