My laptop gets hot!!

apav

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
Hi guys I have a GT 330m in my laptop and I am overclocking it for Skyrim to get better framerates. Not overclocked it's at 80C, but when I do OC it gets up to 88C! Hot for a laptop no?

I really want to keep my laptop overclocked (but only when I am playing Skyrim) so is 80-88C for hours on end not good for my laptop?

Should I get a laptop cooler like this? Do they help?:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834998921

Thanks guys!!

thesnappyfingers

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
+1 to the fan duct.

what specific laptop do you have? a link would be great.
Does your bios allow for fan speed control?
Have you tried fan control programs?

I have done a decent amount of modding to my laptop in order to drop gpu temps.

apav

Distinguished
May 20, 2010

I have a Macbook Pro 15" (mid 2010) running bootcamp:

i7 620m 2.66GHz
GT 330m 512mb
4gb RAM

Got it as a gift, so I am trying to make it useful while gaming. I can't open the laptop because it will void the warranty. I know I can OC it, however, because I can turn it back to default clock speeds and there's no way of them finding out.

What if I only overclock it "sometimes?" I really get a huge boost by overclocking while gaming. Here's what I mean.

I get home and can play on my desktop for all of December and some of January, so I won't be gaming on my laptop then. I also have various times where I am home and won't need to game on my laptop. And I would only overclock when gaming (so periodic times will I overclock maybe a couple days a week).

I won't keep it constantly overclocked, and I'd be careful with the temps. Is this alright? I want to get at least 2 or 3 more years out of this laptop.

thesnappyfingers

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Maximum gpu temps for that card are 105.

I have a gtx 260m in my laptop, and before modifications I was getting temperatures of 97C while gaming. That is a little to warm. After mods my max temps are in the 85 to 88. I would not be too concerned with your temps. However, a cooling pad may aid in helping your heat problems.

Agian, Can you control you fan speed with a utility?

This was the biggest factor in decreasing my temps while gaming, However, I did not have the luxury of software being able to control my fan speeds, however I did have the luxury of no warranty, thus I modified the hardware. (wasn't that hard, small wires though)

apav

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
Ok so I just said "oh what the hell" and opened my case up and used a towel and some canned air to clean it. There was only some dust on the fans but there were crumbs in there!! D: I don't know what but they were little crumbs all over.

I got all the junk out and I'm going to test it now :) I'll keep you posted!

apav

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
Good news! After cleaning out my laptop and downloading a manual fan speed controller and setting the fans to 100%, I ran Skyrim OC'ed for 15 minutes and ran around messing around. I alt tabed and checked Afterburner and it showed 79-80 on average, 82 being the max!

Wow, so now is overclocking safe given that I only overclock it while playing Skyrim? Thanks guys :D

thesnappyfingers

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
I don't know what but they were little crumbs all over

Too many cookies in bed :D

Still no answer to the can your pc fan be controlled via software?, if it can then this cranking your fan up is the best way to reduce heat.

Edit- I see that you have fixed the issue, hope we helped.

thesnappyfingers

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
I would say so. I would be very content with those temperatures in my laptop. My gpu also has the same max temp of you gpu.

I have played games for hours on end with my average temps roughly equivalent to 86C with no ill effects. Furthermore the laptop that I have is a refurb, and I have had it for about a year.

to give perspective, if my temps are under 90c I am happy. The idea with hardware and high temperatures is that a lower temp yields to a longer life span. However, it is highly likely that so long as you keep temperatures to a reasonable max your laptops hardware will last longer than the upgrade cycle last.

I would not worry about those temperatures.

apav

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
Noo!!! So I've been monitoring my temps again and they're creeping back up to 88-89C now.. I'm not sure what I did but I have to find away to keep them down for good!

thesnappyfingers

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
are you getting proper air intake? Does your mac have air intake on the key board, perhaps your air intake is dirty as well.

there really isn't too much you can do, like antizig suggested, you might have to get the zalman cooler.

Those temps still are lower than temperatures that I use to run with, I assume those are you max temps, the average is probably lower, furthermore that is still 25C lower than max temps.

Your laptop will be fine running at those temps. Don't expect miracles in temp drops by buying a cooler. However, each laptop is different.

apav

Distinguished
May 20, 2010

It seems like the only intake/outtake points are on the hinge.

So I put two books on the end of each side (so they aren't directly centered on it) to prop it up and let air come through the bottom and I'm getting ~84C now. Not bad

apav

Distinguished
May 20, 2010

Here's another question. I can't turn off input remapper (change my fan speeds back to automatic) unless I restart my computer. Will it hurt my laptop if I have the fans on full blast for long periods of time?

xWhiteWolfx

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012

That is way too hot for a laptop! I have never had much luck with cooling stations so I made my own cooling/docking station. It is 6 inches high (table i use is short) and i mounted 2 small desk fans that use a usb port on the inside. They don't take up much energy so i put a usb hub on the inside so they only take up one port (check watts to make sure you don't burn out your usb port). The front, back and bottom is made from plywood and i used a gutter screen on the sides to get the best ventilation. I ran a program that heats up both the CPU and video card and it topped at 72C under normal use (browser open on 2 servers of kingdoms of camelot and running conquer 2) i run at 52C-60C depending on the temp outside (summer here gets to be 34C). Also if you remove the battery it lets give you more ventilation. Fix the fans so that they are lined up with two of your vents so you can force cooler air into your laptop and force the hot air out of the vent that is closest to the laptop fan.
This is the type of fans I used:
http://www.vat19.com/dvds/usb-retro-metal-desk-fan.cfm

This cost me $40 to build and i found everything at the hardware store.