Best laptop for web design and programming plz help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cathy_25

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
Hello everyone,
I was wondering if you guys would mind help me in finding the perfect laptop for me to buy.
I would really appreciate your help since I am totally clueless. I am not as knowledgeable as you guys so I really appreciate some help. Thanks.

I want to buy a laptop and I have been saving all summer and so far I have $1500 for it. I mainly would use this laptop for web page development. Meaning I would like to be able to use the adobe suite with no slow down (Photoshop, Dreamweaver….) moreover, I’ll be doing some programming on it; right now I am using MS Visual Studio (VB.net, C#...) and in the summer I’ll be taking PHP, SQL and ASP.NET at school.

In short, I want this laptop for programming and web designing purposes, photo and video editing. I understand that a desktop would be better however I can’t buy one because I am constantly moving. So I need a laptop.

About the size of the laptop I like a 14’’ but I am open to other options.

About screen resolution I don’t know really about this and which would be better, good battery life would be great, I won’t be playing games on this laptop.

I need good storage. About the optical drive I think DVD+/-RW, CD+/-RW, and DVD-RAM) would be ok. I dont think i need more.

I don’t have a store in mind or site to buy from so any recommendation is welcome.

Right now I have a Toshiba satellite M115 – S3094 what I like about this computer is the size but I cant do any of my work here when I go to program it becomes very slow; besides it has 5 years now so it is old need an urgent replacement.

A brand that I like is Toshiba because is the one that use nowadays but I am open to new recommendations. I live in NJ - United States

Well as you guys can see I don’t much about computers so I really appreciate some suggestions to find a perfect laptop. Thanks.

Hello cathy_25;

Your Satellite M115 has an on-screen resolution of 1280x800. Is that enough on-screen workspace for you? And is the color accuracy OK for your Photoshop, Dreamweaver needs?

The standard 14" laptop resolution now would be 1366x768? But I think you really use a higher resolution 1600x900 screen.
On a 15" laptop you can get a screen resolution of 1920x1080.

A Toshiba business class 14" laptop:
Toshiba Tecra $1400 R840
Core i7-2620M 2.70 GHz CPU, 4GB RAM, 320GB 7200rpm HDD, 14" 1600x900 LCD w/ Radeon HD 6470 graphics card.
~4.2lbs, 7+hr battery life and a matte (anti-glare) LCD screen
Tecra R840-S8450 webpage

G

Lenovo ThinkPad T series ( T in model names ) are very solid and great. Actually they are kinda IBM.
ThinkPad T410 has a vary models but they say preferable laptops for engineers are mostly ThinkPads.

And if you want to search buy yourself CNET reviews are very good, Here check/unCheck options for yourself and see the results and ratings... and one more thing is trying a 9-Cell battery also is more better than regular 6-Cells:

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptop-reviews/?sa=1000036#filter=1000036_12220754_500140_5327464&maxPrice=5811&rpp=10

Status
Not open for further replies.