Cloning for tranfer from one laptop to another one

France42

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
Hi everyone.
I would like to get your advice before I do something really stupid.
To back up my computer(s), I use Casper XP. It is perfect: my PC crashed once, I then physically swopped the hard disks (crashed one replaced by back-up) and could go on woking within a few minutes.
But now, I have a different problem: I have an old laptop (Toshiba) with very limited capacity and it is almost full. I regularly clone it for back-uping purposes. I would like to transfer it to a new laptop (Sony Vaio). In theory, I can use Casper and, via a cloning, virtually transfer my old portable disk on my new one. It means that the hard disk of the new portable would be totally overwritten with the data of my old laptop. But I'm afraid that the new laptop will not work because all the system data will have disappeared :( . Or?...
Basically, how can I transfer my entire working environment (not only the files, email and favorites) from one laptop to another, different one in an easy way? I guess it is not easily feasible...
Thanks for your opinion/ideas/answers and have an excellent week-end.

France

Solution
Hello, the cloning obviously wouldn't work because you'd transfer the old drivers to new laptop, which is not desireable. The best solution in this case is to copy things you need manually

France42

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011

Thank you for your confirmation, AntiZig. It is going to be a drag to re-install everything and re-create a similar working environment. Grrrr. I surely do not have all the original softwares anymore...

Thanks a lot and have a good week-end.

France