Hp dv6000 laptop freezes

pepe_73

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
Hello,since last week my HP dv 6000 pavillion started to freeze few minutes after it's turned on. Paste has been changed and stres test perfomed , nothing reperted. It worked good for day or two and than again same proble appears. I had Vista but rerinstaled W7 las year. At service I was told that probably it is a chip set and it can not be fixed.

overclockingrocks

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
the DV series especially the 2000 and 6000 were known to have an extremely high motherboard failure rate some people have put it as high as 25%. It basically has to do with a poorly designed chassis meaning the fans and other systems used for cooling are nowhere near as effective as they need to be to cool off the motherboard. This results in micro stress fractures over time and eventually the traces break and all sorts of weird issues crop up such as you describe random freezing.

My advice is if it's under warranty have the motherboard replaced. if it's not then I would say it's not worth the money to fix it and with prices being what they are I would just save the money and the frustration and buy a new laptop from a different brand.