Microsoft Kills Off Kin Phones After 48 Days

Status
Not open for further replies.

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
Stupid looking phone with a stupid sounding name. They probably sold 5 in the first month. I bet there's gonna be some really good deals on kin phones soon.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
That's kind of a shame, my cousin wants one of these, I was going to get her one, it's only $50 anyway. They looked fairly neat to me. There are actually quite a few phones that look like the KIN One, and honestly, if a name alone is going to turn you off a product, there's a lot of cool shit out there you're missing.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Well what do you know, another example of Microsoft playing "beta tester" with its customers. I don't know who's in charge of their mobile programs, but they've been killing off support for new products pretty often lately, and this new business model doesn't reflect well on Microsoft. I'll just quote an earlier post of relevance to this ill conceived plan:

"Yaa... the dirty little secret we're not being told is that Microsoft has basically dumped development support for their Zune HD "beta testers", sacrificing a good portion of their loyal fan base in order to accelerate the development of their Windows Phone 7 OS and hardware platform. Much of the UI is merely an evolution of the one found in the Zune HD, but the apps and games created and ported to this new WP7 platform using XNA 4.0 will not be compatible with the Zune HD. And yes, that includes the recently announced Xbox Live Arcade games.

It really sucks, but I think Microsoft has made a huge mistake in overlooking the Zune HD like this, a device that isn't even a year old. I can't imagine what would've happened if similar actions were taken against the Moto Droid (people would probably think twice before buying the Droid 2)."

Oops, and the next day something very similar to my hypothetical situation comes true. I think this current situation with the Kin is very similar, and it's pretty shameful of Microsoft to 'use' their customers in this way. So what happens if WP7 doesn't pan out quite as well as they're anticipating? Will they simply kill support for it a few months later in anticipation of something newer and better? Will people then justify it by saying "who would buy such a bad phone to begin with..."? The problem isn't that consumers are buying these products, it's that Microsoft is using them to achieve a powerful, robust, and popular mobile platform, no matter how many short lived non-supported iterations it takes. Supporting 'older' products and having backwards compatibility is such a burden.

xxsk8er101xx

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It also required the 30 dollar data plan. You can get the droid incredible that is a thousand times better for a 100 bucks more and with the same exact plan.

opmopadop

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Im not sure if integrating a team that made KIN a reality is a positive move for the WP7 team. The last thing WP7 needs is a team full of bad ideas!

xxsk8er101xx

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
50 dollars plus the 30 dollar data plan! Just get a smart phone.

[citation][nom]Kelavarus[/nom]That's kind of a shame, my cousin wants one of these, I was going to get her one, it's only $50 anyway. They looked fairly neat to me. There are actually quite a few phones that look like the KIN One, and honestly, if a name alone is going to turn you off a product, there's a lot of cool shit out there you're missing.[/citation]

halcyonnn

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
You are talking about the current Kin phones like they are no more, "The Kin One was a small... The Kin Two boasted 8GB of storage..." However, your article quotes MS as saying "We will continue to work with Verizon in the U.S. to sell current KIN phones."

Are they stopping production of the current ones? It looks to me like they are just not rolling it out to new markets or developing new phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.