Notebook vs Netbook vs Laptop

lynette_08

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
Hello,
Hi can anyone offer any help, my 8 year old daughter wants a laptop to play games on etc generally just mess around. Which do u think i am best off buying. thanks

beenthere

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
Netbooks usually won't play games. Notebooks will play games but typically have no optical drive for CDs/DVDs. Laptops will play games but are usually in the 14"-17" size range and more expensive. HP, Newegg, or similar sites allow you to compare features side-by-side.

beenthere

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
We've had this discussion before... As far as PC builders and many consumers are concerned a Netbook, Notebook and Laptop are THREE different products. One could argue they are all based off of a laptop but they are different products typically intended for different uses. Size, weight, power, etc. tend to differentiate the three products.

jsc

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2004
People, jaguar is right. notebook = laptop. The only difference is that older people (like me :)) tend to call the things "laptops".

Doesn't make them right. And I have been building computers for more than 30 years, back when "building" meant taking soldering iron in hand, not just assembling store bought parts.

beenthere

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
But they are right, because they are three distinctly different products! As previously mentioned this issue has been debated before and people are free to believe whatever makes them happy. None of the debate helps the OP.

Chainzsaw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
For an 8 year old daughter I would reccomend a NETBOOK. Something with an ATOM processor or an AMD E-350.

A netbook because they are cheap, and I know how hard kids can be on ANYTHING.

Please note if you do get her a netbook - I find the hard drives / their small SSD's in them tend to die somewhat often when used by children/ and our people who move their computer around a lot.

Edit: Check this out

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/collection/1658/top_10_netbooks.html

The Asus EEE PC usually does really well in the netbook department. Somewhat cheap and should allow your daughter to play some "light" games, as well as some internet games.

Once you daughter matures a bit - you could probably go the laptop route and get a proper laptop/computer.

The problem is "some games". A game like the Sims 3 will choke on such a netbook. I'm using Sims 3 as an example because it is a popular game that is "Rated E for Everyone". I'm sure it'll be fine for a simple game like Plants vs. Zombies though.

makafri

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
netbook with amd fusion is all you want for you years old girl :) you will be able to play a decent amount of games... is not that you little girl wants to play crysis... but with a fusion chip you will be able to play a lot way more games than with an atom proccesor

Notebook = Laptop

I like Chainzsaw suggestion for a AMD Fusion E-350/E-450. 11" or 12" size
It's about half way between lowly Netbook performance and mainstream Notebook performance. For the typical 2D games plus flash & web based games its fine.
And it's home office/schoolwork/media/internet performance level should be enough for four or five years worth of work. And it's passable as a family spare as well.

But I'm not too keen on adding a SSD, mostly due to the extra cost. Most laptop hard drives have the ability to 'park' when then sense a drop in progress.

@ lynette_08
Toss us a bone - at least mention your budget range. jaguarskx 's suggestion to fill out the 'usual questions' helps you focus on the right requirements and lets us find a good match.

beenthere

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
Here's the typical breakdown:

Netbook - underpowered toy use to connect to the Internet for e-mail use. May also be able to run a word processor. Can NOT run typical games. Does NOT have an optical drive. Small and lightweight but pretty worthless device for most people.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mobile/display/amd-fusion-intel-atom_7.html#sect0

Notebook, aka Ultra portable - decent CPU/APU power. Can run games and most software. Typically 10"-13" screen size. Weight typically 3.5 Lbs. or less. No optical drive.

Laptop- Typically 14"-17" screen size. Available with mild to maximum CPU power and discrete laptop graphics cards. Runs all normal software, video, etc. Often used as a substitute for a desktop. Typically weighs more than 3.5 lbs. HAS an optical drive.

You can argue over the details but this is the basic product breakdown. Certainly some mfgs. blurr the lines with a 13.3" Notebook vs. a max of 13", etc.

beenthere

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
Yes I saw your post and that's why I corrected your technical mistake. ;)

As I said several times, this has all been "debated before", but the facts don't change. Those who want to call a Netbook a laptop or a Notebook a Hoola-Hoop or whatever are free to do and believe whatever makes them happy. The basic product discriptions I gave are accurate and useful for those looking to find a suitable product for a specific application - such as the OP.

Enjoy!

AntiZig

Distinguished
Guys, no point trying to prove anything to him, he's too hard headed. (been there and tried that in another thread)

He thinks that marketing department is the source of all truths on IT matters. and the fact that a term developed by some vendor some 10 years ago for marketing had stuck around obviously has to have new meaning...
Even though his "facts" don't hold up as pointed out by numerous people.

there's a saying, everything new is something well forgotten.

beenthere

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
As I have told you and others - making a discussion personal does NOT validate your beliefs. You are perfectly free to believe whatever makes you happy, even if not based in reality. There are no new meanings, just factual info. that you dislike because it differs with your beliefs. All you need to do is go look for the products as listed above and you will see the names Netbook, Notebook/Ultra portable and Laptop represent three individual categorys of portable PCs.

I can agree to disagree respectfully without insults and inappropriate comments. Perhaps you should learn to?