Buying an SSD for Acer Aspire 5750G - Sata2 or Sata3?

Cretster

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011
Hi - I've just bought this laptop and am fairly happy with the speed things get done on it with the i7 processor etc, but having got a Crucial C300 in my desktop I want the same sort of SSD speed benefit in my new laptop.

I'm planning on getting a caddy to move the current HDD into the optical drive bay area, then fit an SSD (128gb) as the boot drive.

What I'm not sure about though, is whether this laptop architecture in general (ie the motherboard and bus speeds etc I think?) would be able to take full advantage of a Sata3 drive, or if that would be a waste of money if it can only run at Sata2 speeds etc.

If anyone could clarify this or give me some help finding out somehow I'd be grateful. Would be quite a bit cheaper getting a Sata2 drive, but Sata3 is on the cards if the laptop can use the extra speed.

Thanks!

AntiZig

Distinguished
if it has an i7, it supposed to support sata3, I think you should get sata3 since down the road when that laptop gets old in 3-5 years, you can take out the ssd and put it in something newer. So, it's a good investment.

Cretster

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011
Hmmm, I can see where you're coming from with that comment but not certain I agree necessarily.
SSDs are really expensive at the moment so if I buy it now I'll really be paying a premium compared to say buying one in 3-4 years when I might replace this machine I just got.

I'd guess at that time I'd be able to get way better deals so the future proofing thing isn't too convincing even though I get what you mean.

the chip might well support it, but does that mean the mobo would as well? I might try using Everest or something to find what board it uses, then see if I can get tech spec on it and maybe find out that way.

Don't want to pay out £50-100 more for sata3 if I can't take advantage of it, but if it will work then I could justify the difference probably.

Cretster

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011
Well, couldn't see any useful info after running Everest, or Aido or whatever it is now, so I tried another similar thing (h32 something) and it confirmed its a sata III machine.

So a crucial m4 128gb ssd has been obtained accordingly. Was going to get vertex 3 but I've read a few too many bad things about sandforce, plus apparently (more significantly for me) for photo editing they're not meant to be as good due to incompressible files or something.

Can't wait anyway. Thanks for the info!

Sep 28, 2018

I know this is an old post but, as a helping tool/guide and for anyone that is intending on doing this, I hope my answer will be helpful as I've done all that you are intending to do e.g. a caddy to move the current HDD into the optical drive and an SSD into a 5750G, this works perfectly with no problems! I used a Samsung EVO-850 1TB and its improved my 5750G 1000% in boot and functionality. make sure that your bios is upgraded to the last bios v1.21. This will run a SATA3 speed. Just as a reference here are my 'PassMark' test result on this Samsung EVO-850 1TB in my 5750G which is at a rating of 23,761 'Percentile Disk Mark' score. To put this into perspective, the model average for a spinner type HDD is 4313 and the model minimum is 161, the SSD model maximum is 21,549, which is an off the scale result and an unbelievably quick one but, the SSD in my 5750G is even quicker at 23,761. Conclusion, an SSD is worth every cent that you spend on it and is probably one of the most crucial upgrades and most efficient that you can do to any computer, especially with a top quality brand like Samsung EVO or PRO!

Sep 28, 2018

Yes very true but, and as I've said, this is a helpful guide to anyone that is intending on doing this upgrade. That is what these posts are all about as not everyone has the latest gear and many people upgrade their old hardware.

Sep 28, 2018

'necropost' is not an appropriate term if you are aware of what people are searching and looking for on the web, especially as many people want to upgrade older laptops 'today' like the Acer Aspire 5750 that are put away and discarded and are like bricks lol this topic is especially relevant, when searching for this exact thing on SSD and other upgrades. This thread and topic does come up (as I've tried this many times on search engines and got this topic on Toms Hardware) and my update to a 7 years old post is helpful, relevant and informative! Think about it that way because, if it helps one person then its worth while, cheers