Computer not booting after SP1

attacus

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
Just as I get my desktop to work my laptop decides to act up. I had trouble installing SP1 on an Acer Aspire 6935 with Win 7 Home. I downloaded a utility to help install it and it seemed to work. However now I can't boot. The screen goes to 'starting windows', then a black screen where my mouse works, and seems to do nothing else :fou:. I've left it like that for over an hour collectively. BIOS was telling me to repair the install and this wasn't working as the screen kept asking me to repair. I used a repair disc and that seems to have made the repair notification go away. But the screen hasn't changed. How do I fix this?

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
I see, im not sure what your saying is what i think but, reinstall windows 7 home premium... If you bought it from a store, go back and tell them so they can do a reinstall of windows... Probably the BootManeger file(A file that will help you boot into Windows, without it, you will go to the repair thing) is missing or corrupted which will lead to the repair stuff... BTW, How does BIOS tells you to repair windows?....

attacus

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011

I bought the laptop refurbished with Vista and used an upgrade disc (for Vista PCs bought in 2009) to get Win 7. I used the repair on a recovery disc I made. The message in the BIOS as something like: 'Windows has x problems/can't x. This may have been caused by a recent change. 1. automatically repair problem. 2 boot normally. The disc seemed to have fixed it and I don't get the message. But the screen is still black.

leonknathan

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
You may be experiencing the issue discussed here:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/724bb599-de85-4ce7-af21-50d753dc27ba/

In which case you'd need to:
1. Boot into Safe mode (F8 on startup and then select from menu using arrow keys)
2. Revert the graphics display driver / replace it

attacus

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011

But whenever I try to boot into anything I get the black screen.

attacus

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
Everything goes accordingly - drivers are listed. Graphics have been set back to 800x600. Then the screen turns blank and the mouse pointer is visible. I can move the pointer but nothing changes on the screen.