Solved! Dell battery suddenly died

hunny

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
Hello,
My boyfriend was busy on the laptop and in the corner on the left handside there is a battery icon, he told me he clicked on it and then on something else and the laptop jus died. He tried putting it on again but the battery didnt allow it. The battery died. He tried switching it on but it didnt do anything. What i would like to know is, is that battery broken or did he jus switch off the function of the battery? Because when we put in a different battery it works.

Solution
Modern batteries typically do just that. You will notice a period of time the charge does not seem to hold as long, then, one day, even after they had been holding a charge for a decent amount of time, they just die, completely.
G

Run the laptop off the power adapter with the bad battery inside.
Download and run battery eater (http://batteryeater.com/download.html - extract and run brpro.exe) off it
Go into info -> power supply -> battery 1 -> check the max current battery capacity mah (idk if thats exactly what its called, on a desktop so cant verify)
Report back numbers (or if its too low, then that means the battery cant hold a charge anymore cause of age)

fortuna

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
Hi,

Which laptop do you have? I know some Sony laptops require drivers for the battery to work properly, maybe your boy friend messed something up which requires re-installation of the drivers (you said he licked on some battery related icons).
Any how, chances that this is a driver prob are slim, i'd say the old battery died. especially if you say that another battery works fine without installing any driver.

Chears!

fortuna

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
Hi,

Which laptop do you have? I know some Sony laptops require drivers for the battery to work properly, maybe your boy friend messed something up which requires re-installation of the drivers (you said he licked on some battery related icons).
Any how, chances that this is a driver prob are slim, i'd say the old battery died. especially if you say that another battery works fine without installing any driver.

Chears!

jitpublisher

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
Modern batteries typically do just that. You will notice a period of time the charge does not seem to hold as long, then, one day, even after they had been holding a charge for a decent amount of time, they just die, completely.

Solution