Solved! Alienware M17x vs ibuypower (vs ?)

Sallert

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
So yeah, looking for a gaming laptop...desktop out of the question due to travelling. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

1. What is your budget? 2200 CAD ~ 2200 USD

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 17"

3. What screen resolution do you want? 1920x1080p

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Desktop replacement

5. How much battery life do you need? Not a huge issue. Will be using it primarily for games, so with power supply

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? As high as possible for SC2, BF3, Diablo3

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Just gaming

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? 500GB should be fine

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. www.alienware.ca, www.ibuypower.com

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? basically as futureproof as possible within the confines of the budget

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? I guess bluray would be nice, no writing needed

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. I have no preferences, other than tending to lean towards "known" brands.

13. What country do you live in? Canada

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I've been doing a lot of researching on the web for various models. I started looking at Alienware M17x, Asus G74SX and MSI GT780 for starters. I was almost set on buying the M17x, but then I read a couple of forum posts that complaining about poor quality of the screen. The Asus and MSI ones look pretty good, however they seem pretty hard to customize on the web and apparently the best GPU for those is the GTX 560M, which seems a little weak to me compared to the Radeon 6990M in the M17x.

I've just started checking out the ibuypower options and on first glance they seem very good in terms of power/price and customizability. Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with high end ibuypower machines? I don't even know if they ship to Canada, but I guess I'll cross that bridge when/if I come to it.

Also, any thoughts on Origin laptops? They seem to want to stuff desktop processors into their laptops, but wouldn't that cause some cooling issues? From the benchmarks I've seen the Sandy Bridge processors (2670QM, 2760QM) seem to outperform the i7 960/970 desktop processors. I have very little knowledge on the subject, so I could be way off.

In conclusion I'm currently between the Alienware M17x and an ibuypower equivalent (2760QM, Radeon 6990M, 8GB 1600MHz RAM, 1920x1080 screen). Hoping you guys can point me in either direction or even offer other alternatives.

Cheers!

AntiZig

Distinguished
Hello, as far as I know ibuypower is a reputable seller. Alternatively, I'd suggest to check out xoticpc, they come out about $200 cheaper than origin's laptops. (Origin uses rebranded Sager NP8150/70)

As far as which one to pick, if you want flashy lights, top picks would be Alienware or MSI
a more conservative design is Asus and Sager

As far as hardware goes, 6990 is obv a much better option than 560, but I'm sure places like ibuypower and xoticpc you can upgrade easily.

as far as stuffing desktop CPUs into laptops, typically those are beast laptops, that have space for 2x HDDs and SLI/CF GPUs, which makes them easily 10lbs+, I believe those would be out of your price range and as you well pointed out yourself, I'm not trusting their cooling ability (unless ofcourse they got liquid cooling fitted in a laptop).