Can I upgrade a laptop this way?

z0mbi3jesuz

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
I don't know a lot about computers. My mom and stepdad wanted me to do a factory restore on their laptop. There's no 'repair your computer' option on the boot menu. I've Googled the hell out of it, and about every site basicly said that the preinstalled software to do the restore isn't there, and that I'd have to call Acer to get a copy of the boot disk, because it didn't come with one. My mom texted me and said that my aunt has an Acer also, but her boot disk is windows 7. Could I use her boot disk to do an upgrade to windows 7?

Pyree

Distinguished
Well, if you did, I think you will get a window not authentic message.

If you want window 7, buy one and install it.

Acer will most likely not provide you with a free OS upgrade. They don't run a charity.

But why, what was the OS that Acer send you?

z0mbi3jesuz

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011

I'm doing a complete factory restore on the laptop. I'm not asking for a hand out or charity even held in my honor. The laptop did not come with a boot disk/back up disk like most other computers do. I didn't even get one with my eMachine last year. It's windows Vista Ultimate. Maybe I should have been a little more specific. I meant, should I call Acer and get a Vista Ultimate backup/boot disk that should have came with the laptop? No need to be a smart ass with the "They don't run a charity" comment.

Pyree

Distinguished
The thing is, most laptop don't come with an OS disc. It has become the norm.

You usually do a system image backup with DVDs on your first window startup and keep it, or there is a system recovery partition.

I don't think Acer will give you window 7 when your laptop comes with vista. For vista, I am quite certain you can get a disc from them. Contact Acer and inquire about the procedures required for a window disc and the associated cost.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
most manufacturers charge some $5-10 for a disc, plus shipping. It will have all of the original software that you had on it. If it is too old they will no longer have the discs available because they want you to buy a new machine.

Check for a restore partition (most acers have one) which can be accessed through the boot menu or bios. Otherwise I would spend the money to buy a copy of win7 (it will run on just about anything so long as you have at least 1GB of ram).

z0mbi3jesuz

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011

Thank you.

z0mbi3jesuz

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011

Ok. I'll check the boot/bios. I don't remember if it had one or not. I remember something along the lines of D2D enabled. Someone told me to make sure that was on when I was checking a chat room for help. It's an Acer 5315 if that helps any.

z0mbi3jesuz

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
Didn't see a restore partition. I saw an option to create back up disks. It was going to take 6-11 cds. I'm thinking maybe get some DVDs and try this. If not, I'll tell my mom that she either needs to call Acer and get a restore disk or like you said, upgrade to windows 7.

Pyree

Distinguished
No point to do a backup now. It is going to make a system image of the state it is in now, which you don't want.

And CaedenV, the reason they cannot provide you with OS which is too old is because the company use volume license. Once they used up the amount of incense they bought, or if MS does not issue them any more, they can no long give them to you legally.

funguseater

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
Hi, have you tried pressing ALT + F10 while booting? This brings up ACERs hidden restore Partition for me. Also if you can log on to the computer, run eRecovery and make the System Restore Disks ( It makes the image from the hidden partition NOT your current windows ) Yeah, it takes a few DVDs but they are good to keep.

Carefull Pyree Lindt has sued for less... hide the bunny... :kaola:

thelildrummabot

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
or you could go to acer website and buy a eRecovery disk for $20 you put your make and model of your laptop or pc

make sense?