CPU/GPU Upgrade for Toshiba Satellite L655-S5164

ChristopherNFTL

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
Good Evening,

I was given a new Satellite L655-S5164 as a gift. Immediatly I upgraded the 4 gb of RAM to 8 gb so the easiest and cheapest step is finished. I am also aware I can replace the HD with a SSD for a speed boost, but what about the cpu? Seeing as I don't have much experience with laptops I was a bit disappointed to learn that the graphics processors are integrated and there is no way to overclock this particular cpu, so no easy upgrade there, but hopefully there is something I can do about the whole shebang. Can I replace the entire cpu/gpu setup? While I am aware that there is no way of turning this into some Alienware type monster, I just would like it to run some games and maybe photoshop at a halfway decent pace. Everything else about the computer is great, the display is sharp and bright, attractive casing, plenty big HD (for me on a laptop), plus the full-sized keyboard which is a must for a fat-fingered guy like myself. Thanks in advance for any information and advice you guys can offer. Have a good one!

Processor AMD Phenom(tm) II P960 Quad-Core Processor

Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Graphics ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series
Gaming graphics 3067 MB Total available graphics memory
Primary hard disk 532GB Free (583GB Total)
Windows 7 Home Premium

System
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer TOSHIBA
Model Satellite L655D
Total amount of system memory 8.00 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 4

Storage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 583 GB
Disk partition (C:) 532 GB Free (583 GB Total)
Media drive (D:) CD/DVD

Graphics

Display adapter type ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series
Total available graphics memory 3067 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 256 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 2811 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.712.2.1000
Primary monitor resolution 1366x768
DirectX version DirectX 10

Network

Network Adapter Atheros AR8152/8158 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)
Network Adapter Realtek RTL8188CE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC

d0stievski

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
I think you're stuck with the integrated graphics card, but you might be able to upgrade the CPU with something s1g4 compatible. Not really that familiar with AMD, but maybe one of the other guys on here can be more help to you. Good luck.