Memory Upgrade on Vaio vgn-fw170J

chrisreichel

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
Hi folks.

I have a Sony Vaio vgn-fw170J, currently with 4GB RAM (2x2GB). I would like to upgrade to 8GB RAM (2x4GB Corsair).

Does anybody know if this model supports such amount of RAM?

Thanks.

Solution
VMs and large databases are good reasons to add RAM.
It seems you might have workstation/server class workloads and you're using a mid-range laptop.

It's probably worth digging a little deeper since the that Mobile Intel GM45 Express Chipset has a design MAX RAM capability of 8GB.
And this website guarantees compatible a 8GB
Sony VAIO VGN FW170 Notebook/Laptop Memory Upgrade.

It wouldn't be the first time a MFGR has put artifical limits on RAM capacity.
You'd probably want to find other VGN FW170 owners who did a successful upgrade to 8GB before you take the plunge. Just to make sure there isnt a Sony BIOS issue or other limitation I can't see.

chrisreichel

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
@WR2

I'm currently learning how to work with some Oracle stuff (OSB and SOA Suite), they use a lot of ram (consider also the fact that they are running on virtual machines).

So, I need more RAM.

VMs and large databases are good reasons to add RAM.
It seems you might have workstation/server class workloads and you're using a mid-range laptop.

It's probably worth digging a little deeper since the that Mobile Intel GM45 Express Chipset has a design MAX RAM capability of 8GB.
And this website guarantees compatible a 8GB
Sony VAIO VGN FW170 Notebook/Laptop Memory Upgrade.

It wouldn't be the first time a MFGR has put artifical limits on RAM capacity.
You'd probably want to find other VGN FW170 owners who did a successful upgrade to 8GB before you take the plunge. Just to make sure there isnt a Sony BIOS issue or other limitation I can't see.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS