Mixing ddr3 ram on a lenovo t420

weikai365

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
hi, i have been trawling the web for info about this and most people have been saying it doesn't matter much for laptop ram to be different for each memory slot. Just wanna double confirm with you guys, if i have a lenovo t420 with factory 2gb ram by samsung which has the specs PC3-10700 (667 Mhz), can i add on a kingston 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 SODIMM without issues?

Thanks for any help!

Solution
From my experience, you should not have any problems. If you do though, I would consider removing the 2GB and stay with the 4GB (you lose 2GB, but stay with 4GB in total, win!).

If it does not work, try switching the RAM modules around (rarely, the controller will work with the sticks swapped around). Otherwise, just like above, stay with the 4GB.

If you are running WinXP, then no reason to weep about the 2GB on the other stick... you will not be using them anyway...

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
From my experience, you should not have any problems. If you do though, I would consider removing the 2GB and stay with the 4GB (you lose 2GB, but stay with 4GB in total, win!).

If it does not work, try switching the RAM modules around (rarely, the controller will work with the sticks swapped around). Otherwise, just like above, stay with the 4GB.

If you are running WinXP, then no reason to weep about the 2GB on the other stick... you will not be using them anyway...

Solution