Solved! Gaming Laptop with good non-gaming battery

Abyssalx

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
1. What is your budget?

<$1300 (flexible)

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

14", 15.6"

3. What screen resolution do you want?

14" doesn't matter, preferably 1080p for the 15.6" but it's not a huge deal.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Portable.

5. How much battery life do you need?

5+ Hours with medium-low brightness with simple web browsing, word processing.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Yes, and as high as possible with the battery life above.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

word processing, music, video editing, all kinds of stuff.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

at least 500gb

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

Anywhere really.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

A couple years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Bluray would be cool but it's not a huge thing.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I'm iffy about HP but if it ends up being the best for the price, then it'll have to do.

13. What country do you live in?

USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

This is for school, so I want to be able to use it for at least 5ish hours without having to plug it in. I'm okay with minimum brightness without any youtube or anything. I've been conflicted for a while.

Solution
@HugoStiglitz

It will take ages before they pull out. Also, they are not simply quitting. They are going to do what IBM did and do a pin-off. They are still pumping out new laptop and introducing new models in the future.

@dark_lord 69

I think you can do better than a GT555 with that price

@abyssalx

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230099

and ignore battery life. You will be plugged to the wall all the time when you game and you will have short batter life for web browsing and productivity regardless of what gaming laptop you choose so just choose the most powerful one.

margibso

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
One thing to consider is that the difference in cost between a good mid-level laptop and a gaming laptop is about the same as the cost of a conservative home built gaming machine.

So unless gaming on the go is the functionality that you need you are better off buying a non-gaming laptop and a home built desktop gaming PC which is upgradeable and better at gaming.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
So you want long battery life and gaming...
lol

Get an iPad.
lol

Just kidding,
When gaming your computer WILL use more power like it or not. 5 hours while word processing is one thing and would be doable but for that much battery life while gaming your looking for a laptop that may not exsist.

This one claims 6hrs of battery life.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834200294

Keep in mind...
After about a year your battery life will get shorter and shorter until the battery ends up like my laptop. (If it's unplugged for more than 5 minutes it powers off due to the battery being out of juice.)

FYI,
I agree with MARGIBSO!
Laptops are best for basic uses.
Leave the heavy tasks (Gaming and Video editing) for a desktop.
Desktops are easy to upgrade and gaming laptops aren't cheap while a laptop for browsing the net could cost as little as $400.
Toms just buit my gaming desktop for $499.

Combine the 2 prices and that is still less than you plan on spending... Plus the desktop can be upgraded for future gaming...

Abyssalx

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
I have a gaming desktop already, but I need a laptop because I'm in college and spend a lot of time on campus.

Another I've been looking at is the Clevo W150HRQ from Pro-Star, it's about $1000, 555m, i7, and it says 3-5 hours of battery life, if it's near 5 hours while word processing with low brightness, it might be good. But I can't find any decent battery benchmarks on it.

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
+1 to margibso

get a basic portable laptop for computing on the go. and get a decent desktop system for gaming.

because 5 hours playing games is simply not going to happen. best would be 2-3 hours and even that is pushing it.

with 3-5 hours battery life, the 5 hours would be with LOWEST brightness and things like wireless, CD drive, bluetooth turned off. i would challenge you even to do web browsing on it for 5 hours.

if you want battery life and gaming power.

get the 15" Macbook Pro.
use the MAC os for all your general use like Word Docs, Internet & ETC (as the Mac OS has better power management and ull get longer from the battery)

and boot camp it for games.

its claims 7 hours battery life. (prob 5-6 web browsing)
which would be around 2-3 when gaming.

Abyssalx

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
Again - I Already have a gaming desktop.

And again, because no matter how many times I post this it seems like people ignore it - I need 5+ hours WITHOUT GAMING. Word processing, like I said.

And as for the macbook pro, no. $2200 for the 6750m version? That's not even close to worth it even if it were remotely close to my price range.

I can get an HP with a 9cell 84wh battery that will probably get me 6+ hours. 1080p screen, i7, and a 6770m for under $1000.

But like I said, I'm iffy about hp. I want to see if there's anything that can compare to that around that price.

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
this is confusing people i believe.

"6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Yes, and as high as possible with the battery life above."

maybe edit ur post because thats the one people will read first.

i have always liked HP high end notebooks however with their recent announcement that they are pulling out of the Hardware/Retail market it would make me thin twice before buying one.

Pyree

Distinguished
@HugoStiglitz

It will take ages before they pull out. Also, they are not simply quitting. They are going to do what IBM did and do a pin-off. They are still pumping out new laptop and introducing new models in the future.

@dark_lord 69

I think you can do better than a GT555 with that price

@abyssalx

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230099

and ignore battery life. You will be plugged to the wall all the time when you game and you will have short batter life for web browsing and productivity regardless of what gaming laptop you choose so just choose the most powerful one.

Solution

zaho0006

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2010
Look for something with Nvidia Optimus or whatever AMDs graphics switching technology is called. I get 6-8 hours of battery life with an i5 on integrated graphics and an average size battery doing typical work, and then you can switch to the graphics card when plugged in.

I think most gaming laptops have this technology now but I could be wrong.