Gateway laptop turning off and on (on video).

Reynal888

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
Hello community,
So, my laptop sometimes will turn off by it self and then on again repeatedly (you will see in the video below). I took it apart and cleaned completely and it still does it. Please watch the video and tell me your theories, I will be very happy to try them all! Thank you.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nsJh-1LDxE

Reynal888

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011

Gateway
Model: MA7

Reynal888

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011

I also think it's not an overheating problem since the maximun GPU temperature I've seen was 60C, CPU around 59/60C and HDD around 40C.

Some people say it's an AC problem, hopefully it is and it's not the motherboard. Please go watch the youtube video I posted maybe that could help.

Reynal888

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011

Yes, right now I'm using it and replying to you. I use Speedfan to check the temperature.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I can't access the video from my current location, but will in a couple of hours. Last question for now....Does the system actually power down or is it only the display which acts up?

Reynal888

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011

The whole system shuts down, it was worst before I cleaned it. Yesterday I installed a game to make the laptop sweat and see if it was an overheating problem but nothing happened. Then, I restarted and it turned off and back on and so on. It seems to go away when I hold the power button and I start a fresh power on.

Reynal888

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011

Yes, the batery is good. I was using it with only the battery and I installed the GPU ( Intel 945 Express Chipset Family)... when I restarted it started to turn off, then back on and so on. The only way to fix it is to press and hold the power button and then wait for it to turn off and make a fresh turn on.

Reynal888

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011

This is weird, I was using it with the battery and as soon as I connect the AC it does it, but now doing a fresh turn on doesn't work. I had to disconnect the battery and only use the AC for it to work.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Sounds like something is not connected/installed properly. You saw you installed the GPU. Are you sure? That is usually integrated onto the motherboard. Do you really mean the heatsink/fan assembly?

Reynal888

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011

Sorry, I meant installing the GPU's drivers.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
OK. Had me worried there. So connecting the AC adapter makes it act weirder? That could be because the system will run faster (and hotter) when running on the AC adapter vice only the battery (power savings).

I really do think your mobo is defective. Sorry.

Reynal888

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011

I also fogot to mention. Someone dropped water on the keyboard a few years ago and it turned off. But since then it was working fine. This problem is recent. Also the monitor was damaged and was replaces when the incident happened. But like I said it was working fine before, this is recent. I also took the fan away from the cpu to clean it and replace that white cream (I forgot the name) and I noticed that this metal was melted on the CPU. I cleaned that also.

Note: Someone told me it could be the little battery the motherboard uses.

Reynal888

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011

Yeah I think so too. I can play company of heroes for hours and nothing happenes but as soon as I restart it happens. Weird indeed.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
If it was forgetting its BIOS settings, then the motherboard battery would be the culprit. All it does is allow the BIOS to save settings (like the time). It has no effect on the video adapter. Melted metal on the CPU or anything connected to it is not a good thing.

Reynal888

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011

Thank you for replying. I will update if anything. Thank you.