Did I get ripped off?

kentl

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
Hello,

I bought a laptop and the invoice specs were processor speed 1.6Ghz,
ram amount 1 Gb, and hard drive size 60Gb. Turns out the actual specs were 1.83Ghz, 512Mb, and 80Gb. When I told them the ram was not the amount indicated, they said they would rebuild the system to meet the processor speed and hard drive size indicated. I objected that it was not my fault that they had failed to accurately identify the system information, and that since they had claimed to supply 1Gb of ram, they should install another 512Mb. However, they refused to do so without changing the processor and hard drive.

Are they (morally, ethically, legally or otherwise) obligated to furnish the originally indicated amount of ram? What about their offer to downgrade the processor and hard drive while upgrading the ram?

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

No.
It seems you turned down the offer to correct the shortfall in RAM.

They obviously made an error in your build and it was in your favor.

You received a faster CPU and a larger hard drive, but you 512MB of RAM instead of 1GB of RAM. If you want to correct your build then your CPU and hard drive will be downgraded to what it should have been.

Let's put this all into $$$. Below are estimated cost of the upgrade (which you received for free) had you chosen them:

Faster CPU = + $100
Larger Hard Drive = + $25

Total value of free upgrade = + $125

Cost of 1GB stick of RAM = - $9

Net value of "Free Upgrade" after spending $9 on RAM = + $116

Newegg does not have any 512MB sticks of SO-DIMM DDR3 laptop RAM. Therefore, you must "settle" for a single stick of 1GB RAM for $9.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007635+600006178+600000407&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&IsNodeId=1&Subcategory=381&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&AdvancedSearch=1&srchInDesc=

Wgfalcon

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
what processor was advertized and what processor did you receive. just because it has higher speed doesn't mean its really faster. core 2 vs core i