Solved! Connect two laptops to one external monitor

JanHF

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
Hello, I work for two different companies; one of which provided me with a laptop. Both jobs require 2 screens. I don't want to use the work laptop to work for the employer who did not provide it.

Is there any way to connect both laptops to the same external monitor and just switch between them depending on who I'm working for?

Solution
Yes, requires a monitor with two inputs and you simply select which input to display.

Example, I have a Samsung 27 inch (P2770HD) Monitor/HDTV.
I have two desktop computers connected to it (one to DVI, on to PC input)
Have a stand alone DVD recorder With cable input to record cable TV (goes to HDMI)
Also have External Ant to watch over-the-air broadcasts.

Also have a 24 In samsung Monitor that is simular, but has 2 HDMI inputs instead of only one.

On both I can have the 2 computers on and the stand alone DVD recorder and simply switch between them with the remote.

Also have an old monitor (only) with daul computer inputs. So just need to look at the specs and pick the monitor you need.

RetiredChief

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
Yes, requires a monitor with two inputs and you simply select which input to display.

Example, I have a Samsung 27 inch (P2770HD) Monitor/HDTV.
I have two desktop computers connected to it (one to DVI, on to PC input)
Have a stand alone DVD recorder With cable input to record cable TV (goes to HDMI)
Also have External Ant to watch over-the-air broadcasts.

Also have a 24 In samsung Monitor that is simular, but has 2 HDMI inputs instead of only one.

On both I can have the 2 computers on and the stand alone DVD recorder and simply switch between them with the remote.

Also have an old monitor (only) with daul computer inputs. So just need to look at the specs and pick the monitor you need.

Solution

nocheese

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
External keyboard and mouse too? Look for a KVM switch. Also, many monitors have 2 inputs, 1 analog and 1 DVI, use 1 with one laptop and the other for the other.

JanHF

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011

wow! it is a 1-year old Acer x223w

JanHF

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011

yes on the external keyboard and mouse thanks!

nocheese

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009

KVM Switch will do the trick then. Just make sure to get one that matches your current tech (USB or PS2, DB-15 monitor or DVI).

They are available as small as 2-port and scale upwards. I use an 8 port at my desk myself.

JanHF

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011

k thanks now I'm totally confused but will print this and take it to the geek squad? :)

nocheese

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009

Nah, it's easy. Is your keyboard and mouse USB? Probably. Which connector does your laptop and monitor use for video signal? Blue is DB-15 (analog) white is DVI. How many ports means how many computers (laptops) to connect? You specified 2.

So, USB mouse\kb with blue monitor cable can use this (cables included)...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817403063

USB with DVI (cbles included)...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817801090

JanHF

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011

oh, you really lost me now! Yes to the mouse thing and yes to the blue cable thing...hey, I do have a docking station I'm not using!

nocheese

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009

How are you lost? USB and blue cable = first link I posted...