Solved! Which notebook should I get [Computer Science]

Firzen

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
Hello guys, I need some of your experience because I am a bit lost. Actually I don’t have a desktop, I am using a HP dv4 notebook for my studies and I want to change it because I consider that the screen is too small, the brightness is terrible and the display is glossy.

I am looking for a stylish silver or white notebook, with a matte display, between 15 and 17 inches, with a good keyboard. Won’t consider MacBooks because they are too pricey for me. I would pay anything up to $1500, maybe more if it is necessary.

It’s vital for me the display, I am looking a bright display and with anti reflex.

I am sorry for my English since it´s not my first language. Thank you :hello:.

Solution
Take a look at the Dell XPS series. The last one got a good review on anandtech and can be configured to your hearts desires. Remember to ask for student discount before ordering.

Firzen

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
Super, thanks to answer. What a coincidence, I was looking tons of reviews of the XPS series laptops. Anyway I liked the XPS 15z, its very thin and silver, I loved it. The XPS 17 is also an option; I will keep looking thought, but great recommendation. I will try to ask some kind of discount, but I don’t know if it’s the same around here (I am from Argentina).

TheSnowman79

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
I just bought a Dell XPS L702X about a month ago, one of the midrange models. 17.3" 1080p display, i7-2630QM 2.0GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, 750GB HDD, Win7 Home Premium x64, nVidia graphics, Sound Blaster, Blu-Ray reader/DVD writer.

So far I love it. Even little things that normally annoy me, such as the keyboard, are great. It comes with USB 3.0, HDMI, DisplayPort, and other "new" stuff. There even wasn't much Dell bloatware on it, which surprised me.

I too bought this for school. I'm going for a M.S. in C.S. myself, and do development work on it. Even Oracle hasn't made this thing break a sweat. I loaded up multiple development environments, database servers, compilers, etc. and this thing doesn't even blink.

Mine cost around $1,100 plus tax.

The only things I don't like about it are that the lid doesn't "snap" closed, although the hinge is strong and it doesn't flop open. But it still moves a little, which makes me nervous. The cord is also not as long as I would like for how much I spent, although I wouldn't call it "short."

Firzen

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
I did not buy the laptop yet, I am considering a Lenovo Thinkpad, and some asus laptops also seems to be of great quality. Its hard to choose. I did try to order Dell the laptop, but they didnt ship to Argentina, problems at the "customhouse" (how do you say it?) since there are new regulations for technology products.