Charging laptop battery without charger.

dragos240

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Here's the story.

Yesterday morning, my dad and I went to the elementary school to drop off some old hardware to be recycled. I came along in the hope of finding some nice retro hardware that would be cool to play with. Long story short I ended up with a fully functional 2008 gaming laptop. The battery worked for around 20m until it shut off. Not even sure if it holds a charge when it's full either. Even so we're getting an A/C adapter for it.

Well, me being the impatient type who likes to do things with his hardware, I thought I'd take a look at the battery. It has 9 pins here, I assume the first and last 2 pins are the power and the ones in the middle are for communication. It's a Lithium ion battery.

TL;DR. I want to charge it before I get the charger, albeit safely. I don't want the battery to explode on me, nor do I want it to leak or be unusable. I realize it's not as straightforward as charging normal batteries, but I still want to see if it can be done. What would I go about doing to get this thing charged? 10.8V, 6000mAh.

Thanks,
Dragos240