Strange laptop display problem - refresh rate?

RabidFace

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
I recently was gifted an Acer 5750Z laptop. Everything seems in working order and the laptop runs great. But here is my problem that could also be related to other TFT Active Matrix LED back-lit displays:

It's really hard to explain, but I am going to try. Text isn't blurry, colors are accurate and bright, but it almost seems like the refresh rate is off. Best way to explain it is, the black lines in between each pixel seem to POP OUT at you. Almost like how if you are looking for it or get close enough, you see the black lines in a CRT TV. Another way to explain it: when playing games, some textures almost look like they are in 16 bit color (which they are not), like when you see each pixel of the smoke, fog, ect. It's noticeable with fast moving textures, images, movies, etc.

And it almost seems like, if I catch it at the right time, I think I am seeing scan lines or an ever so slight flicker but may be nonexistent. But when just staring at the screen, best way to explain it is the black lines in between each pixel are POPPING OUT or VERY prominent.

Hooked up my laptop to my monitor via VGA and HDMI and everything is crisp like it should be. It's a completely livable "problem" but wondering if it's a problem.

My eyes are very sensitive to things like this, and notice the small things. I also don't know if it's giving me a headache since I am focusing on it, but seems that way. But the headache may be because of a refresh rate issue. Haven't had a display like this. But in my Googling, found almost something like what I have, and someone said that it's common in the new LED back-lit displays and it goes away after time (if that applies to me). Is this true? Anyone with the same problem? Could it be the ribbon cable to the monitor? Or something else entirely.

Thanks for your input.

RabidFace

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
It's also a new laptop. Not sure if you could explain it another way what my problem is. Almost like it's getting feedback or interference from something. It's something that might not even be noticeable to someone else. But thanks for your input. Might be making a call to Acer and see how long the whole process is going to take if I sent it in. Unless there is another explanation, but the inverter seems like a real possibility.

dikshant

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012

I am getting the same problem in my Asus K53SV-SX521D and its really irritating but i think it is reducing automatically or i am getting adapted to it.

Did your problem got solved by time or was there some problem with the inverter?