Your question
Closed

When I turn on my laptop the screen is black

Tags:
  • Laptops
  • Light
  • Fan
Last response: in Laptop Tech Support
September 23, 2011 4:17:17 PM

When i turn on my laptop the screen stays black. I can hear the fan running and the charger light is on, so why isn't it turning on correctly?

More about : turn laptop screen black

September 23, 2011 4:24:51 PM

have you tried hooking up an external monitor. If you can and it works you could possibly have an issue with your lcd panel.
Score
0
a b D Laptop
September 23, 2011 4:51:54 PM

galeener may be right.

Or it could possibly be that your outputting to the wrong screen - most laptops have a "Fn" button that can be pressed in conjunction with a little screen on the keyboard to switch to either internal display or external(say F1 or F2).
Score
0
Related resources
January 3, 2013 1:52:40 PM

I have a compaq mini and I can hear it running and the green light is on but my screen is black. I didn't shut it down last night just closed the top, as I have before, and I have never had this problem. Could you help?
Score
1

Best solution

August 20, 2014 11:35:40 PM

Hello.
My name is John Chol de Mawuer, a South Sudanese who pursued his tertiary education in Kenya.
Although my feedback will reach you at a time when you might have already dump your old Laptop for another one. I think i will have to tell you these simple tricks to help you next time when you experience this same problem or helping your friends/relatives who might be stuck with this problem.....
As i was taught back then in school. there are several problems which cause the screen to experience the blackout.......
JUST TRY THESE SIMPLE STEPS TO SEE IF IT GONNA HELP.

Electrical hitches.
Remove your laptop's battery, unplug the power, hold power the button for 1 to 2 minutes, turn on computer with power plug only, then shutdown, add battery and restart

Magnetic On/Off Switch to detect of Close/Open Lid
Your magnet switch is fubar some how. Open up the speaker cover and see if your lid actuator switch that come in contact with the magnet on your lid cover is stuck or not (find where the magnet is in the back of the front lid cover, trace where the magnet area actually touches the base of the computer and you will find the switch) Workaround, start windows with lid at 30 degree angle

Software
Try Fn + F5 or something like that

For the hardware's perils. I may not be able to truly execute it because i'm not competent in the computer hardware's issues.....

Thank for your question and i hope this elaborated trial gonna help you and the others who might be experiencing the same problem and confused on what to do.

John Chol de Mawuer, Juba-South Sudan


Share
December 30, 2014 6:33:15 AM

Hi,
I tried all the above steps but still wud show the black screen after the vaio logo disappears. The fan is still working and so is the backlight...
Score
0
January 14, 2015 11:27:45 AM

Sweta dawas said:
Hi my name is Sweta I had the same problem with my compaq laptop. On power on the screen would stay black, no POST, nothing at all on the display. The HDD would spin up but the HDD indicator would not come on and would not boot. The DVD drive would spin up and attempt to read a disc if one was in the tray but still would not boot.I found the answer on this blog. Unplug the power, remove the battery and then hold the power button for 30 to 60 seconds. Then reattach the power and attempt a boot. It worked for me! Just shutdown, put the battery back in you’re good to go. Worked for me so definitely worth a try.

www.eTechies.in



I have the same problem with my netbbook. My PC is a Dell Inspiron 1090. You guys said to remove both battery and charger plug and hold the power button from a half to full minute. The only problem is that the "battery" below my laptop is different (picture is in link to see what it looks like). Is there another way to solve it? If I have to get it to a computer shop I'm too lazy but I have to do it (I'm 15 btw)

How my PC battery looks like: http://imgur.com/AfZG6ui

Score
0
February 8, 2015 8:28:30 AM

Sweta dawas said:
Hi my name is Sweta I had the same problem with my compaq laptop. On power on the screen would stay black, no POST, nothing at all on the display. The HDD would spin up but the HDD indicator would not come on and would not boot. The DVD drive would spin up and attempt to read a disc if one was in the tray but still would not boot.I found the answer on this blog. Unplug the power, remove the battery and then hold the power button for 30 to 60 seconds. Then reattach the power and attempt a boot. It worked for me! Just shutdown, put the battery back in you’re good to go. Worked for me so definitely worth a try.

www.eTechies.in


well this technique could result in loss of some of your system files, endagering your warrenty claim too. the same thing happen with my sony vaio E serires, n it stell happen on n off. i have read many articles, followed it, but nothing results in solving my problem permanently... and still i am facing this problem to present date and I start hating windows 8, Sony Vaio Care, if it could not provide CARE to its customers....
Score
0
February 10, 2015 2:43:34 AM

Hi everyone.
I face the same problem but i used to solve myself you need to troubleshoot.
First step: remove bettery from your computer and press power button for 30 sec. And start normal, if doesn't work. You need to refresh your pc in booting. This is depent on the window you are usin let me give u example with window 8.1 remove your bettery from laptop and insert again now when you restart your pc press f11 continously so you will see boot menu, there is an option refresh your pc select it and press next next until it refresh itself hope this would solve your problem but this would remove all you new install app but your file will not delete...
Score
0
February 15, 2015 12:35:51 AM

kaushal1991 said:
Hi,
I tried all the above steps but still wud show the black screen after the vaio logo disappears. The fan is still working and so is the backlight...


mine too i have sony vaio but when i turn on its black and the mouse arrow is working ctrl-alt-delete is working

Score
0
February 15, 2015 7:08:53 AM

This was caused by a w8 update apparently I had to do a windows refresh and it worked
Score
0
February 28, 2015 12:25:49 PM

Thank you so very much, it worked and now I can complete what I was trying to do in the first place.

Score
0
February 28, 2015 2:38:44 PM

pakie49 said:
This was caused by a w8 update apparently I had to do a windows refresh and it worked


Hi, I tried to do this but I need additional space. How do I go about removing stuff that I don't need?
Score
0
March 1, 2015 7:48:38 AM

That worked for me!!! Thank you sooo much!!!!

Score
0
March 1, 2015 11:08:24 AM

Hi, experts,

I'm new to this community. My laptop has the same problem. I tried everything, but still the screen is black. I tried
1. Unplug, remove ac adaptor, hold 2 minutes, turn on.....
2. Press fn and f5
3. Press f11 continuously.... Etc etc, still no magic.

At beginning there is normal start up sounds only the screen is blank, now there is no sounds at all. I am the woman only know how to use. Other than that, nothing else about computer. Can somebody give me your advise what to do next.? Many thanks. Lin
Score
0
March 9, 2015 3:47:28 PM

Hi! It happened to me aswell. I took out the batter for 60 seconds, then turned it back on, when it turned on, I held the poeer button for a minute then turned it back on, it worked perfectly. The long power button reboots the lights in the PC. Try this.

Score
0
March 15, 2015 8:25:13 PM

mlara75 said:
When i turn on my laptop the screen stays black. I can hear the fan running and the charger light is on, so why isn't it turning on correctly?


Score
0
March 18, 2015 9:18:39 AM

open your laptop from bhind detach harddisk and fitit again..your pc or laptop will start working.i tried it works
Score
0
March 20, 2015 2:20:48 AM

Thanks bro you really helped
Score
0
March 24, 2015 2:39:02 AM

Hello
A blank screen might be also caused by a faulty RAM or a faulty RAM port.

This worked for me:
Switch off the laptop.
Change the position of the RAM.
Switch on the laptop.

If this doesn't work. Get a different RAM and test it.

janjan said:
kaushal1991 said:
Hi,
I tried all the above steps but still wud show the black screen after the vaio logo disappears. The fan is still working and so is the backlight...


mine too i have sony vaio but when i turn on its black and the mouse arrow is working ctrl-alt-delete is working



Score
1
March 24, 2015 2:40:23 AM

Hello
A blank screen might be also caused by a faulty RAM or a faulty RAM port.

This worked for me:
Switch off the laptop.
Change the position of the RAM.
Switch on the laptop.

If this doesn't work. Get a different RAM and test it.
Score
0
March 31, 2015 4:59:38 PM

mlara75 said:
When i turn on my laptop the screen stays black. I can hear the fan running and the charger light is on, so why isn't it turning on correctly?

what type of laptop do.ydo you have? I am having the same issue with my screen and hearing everything else run properly.
Score
0
April 14, 2015 5:49:06 AM

hi
my friend's laptop seems got same problem, its asus, i forget the serie
i don't even see asus logo when turning on the laptop, but capslock light is fine , i can turn the capslock light on or off
i've tried fn f1 - f11 , i still able to increase or decrease volume, set the brightness and etc. but still blank screen
i also tried external screen, and .. yah.. it didn't work, i've tried to use external screen on my laptop and it worked perfectly

so... any suggestion?
many thank, kano

btw..sorry for missing grammars
Score
0
April 27, 2015 9:59:54 AM

I typically have the same issue. Mine is a Toshiba Satellite. I used to keep unhooking it and then rehooking the power cable, only for the screen to be black. For some reason, hitting the PLAY button (my laptop has the volume, play/pause, rewind, fast forward touch "buttons" right next to the power button) fixed it. It's almost like the screen is turning off and needs to be "played" when I start the laptop. It doesn't happen a lot, but it would happen every blue moon, so now on the rare occasion that it happens, I just hit the PLAY "button" and once that "button" (it's not really a button, but you know) lights up white, the screen comes on and the laptop boots normally.
Score
0
April 30, 2015 12:25:18 PM

Dear John, I just want to thank you so much for taking the time to share your troubleshooting knowledge. I was in a panic about my laptop's dark screen and your info got my laptop up and running. I still need to figure out what it's problem is, but I'm so relieved to see it back up and running. Many many thanks!
Score
0
May 25, 2015 5:10:30 AM

I find the solution on the YouTube,and working ! My laptop working with out any trouble,the last 3 day I can turn on and off no more black screen. take the battery out,keep the a/c adapter in turn on your laptop and cover with the blanket about 10-15 minute make sure no air going in.After that let it cool down 30-40 minute and turn on, if not working try again.I did 3 time's until start to work.I know is looks stupid but working!!!!
Score
0
June 8, 2015 3:21:24 AM

I have the same problem but the difference is that mine got dropped and after that blank screen showed up. Is it a hardware problem? Can someone help me with a solution? I'm not a computer student so I don't know much about the IT knowledge. Please help.
Score
0
June 18, 2015 3:13:21 AM

I found the solution :) 
Type ctrl+alt+del and then open task manager. Then at the processes, look for a tab named explorer.exe then end the process. After that reboot your Pc and its done and it will work for sure.
Score
0
June 27, 2015 6:16:17 AM

For people like me who are supposed be a tech expert and tried every thing on a display problem laptop here is ans--
maybe your hinge is broken and the wire which connects display to motherboard is stuck between hinge
hence try opening laptop and move that wire a bit so it don stuck again
my problem solved by this
Laptop - Samsung np00e5z-aodin
(quite old :(  )
Score
0
July 9, 2015 7:35:43 AM

I have a Lenovo W500
I tried it all and nothing worked... even cot the blue screen... well, this is no solution, but thats all I got for now and well, I must reinstal windows, i guess. But what worked, was this:
1. start the computer - yes, you will have this black screen and the windows workinf in the background
2. but your computer to sleep with your sleep button
3. bring it out of sleep - thats where my screen stared to work!
But unfortunately it still has black screen every time i restart... so this is not the best solution, but at least got my screen picture back.
Score
0
July 10, 2015 7:08:33 AM

Well this john guy from SA just saved me from replacing my laptop thanks dude try out his 1 part it actually works!!!!!
Score
0
July 11, 2015 1:52:19 PM

mlara75 said:
When i turn on my laptop the screen stays black. I can hear the fan running and the charger light is on, so why isn't it turning on correctly?


Chol de Mawuer said:
Hello.
My name is John Chol de Mawuer, a South Sudanese who pursued his tertiary education in Kenya.
Although my feedback will reach you at a time when you might have already dump your old Laptop for another one. I think i will have to tell you these simple tricks to help you next time when you experience this same problem or helping your friends/relatives who might be stuck with this problem.....
As i was taught back then in school. there are several problems which cause the screen to experience the blackout.......
JUST TRY THESE SIMPLE STEPS TO SEE IF IT GONNA HELP.

Electrical hitches.
Remove your laptop's battery, unplug the power, hold power the button for 1 to 2 minutes, turn on computer with power plug only, then shutdown, add battery and restart

Magnetic On/Off Switch to detect of Close/Open Lid
Your magnet switch is fubar some how. Open up the speaker cover and see if your lid actuator switch that come in contact with the magnet on your lid cover is stuck or not (find where the magnet is in the back of the front lid cover, trace where the magnet area actually touches the base of the computer and you will find the switch) Workaround, start windows with lid at 30 degree angle

Software
Try Fn + F5 or something like that

For the hardware's perils. I may not be able to truly execute it because i'm not competent in the computer hardware's issues.....

Thank for your question and i hope this elaborated trial gonna help you and the others who might be experie the same problem and confused on what to do.

John Chol de Mawuer, Juba-South Sudan




Thank you! Fn + F5 worked and could you tell me why that process work? I' m sorry I don't know how old this post is.
Score
0
July 28, 2015 1:41:31 AM

Hi Ehlin,
I tried the 3 steps above and it worked fr my son's ASUS laptop thanks for those tips.
Regards Lee
Score
0
July 29, 2015 6:08:34 AM

had same issue with my hp laptop, but was advised 1.remove all accessories,like usb cable, charger adapter and any cd or usb.2.switch off laptop 3.remove battery and after removing battery hold the start button for 15-30secnds.rem ur laptop should not be in charge, this is to remove any extra power it has.
4.connect adapter charger to laptop without battery
5.try and power it on....
hope this works
Score
0
August 24, 2015 6:43:42 PM

Hi Isaiah, I tried this and it worked like a charm. Thank you
Score
0
September 1, 2015 9:04:05 AM

None of these solutions are working for me - my screen is still black.
Score
0
September 27, 2015 4:20:12 PM

SAME ISSUE ITS EASY. There is no problem in your hardware just a window porblem so called virus
Press CTRL + SHIFT + TAB , Task manager will open
in Processes end explorer.exe and make a newtask name "explorer.exe" It will work fine then your desktop will appear
Pray for me . enjoy XD
Score
0
October 22, 2015 11:55:57 PM

Problem Solved

Even i had the same problem.....my laptop was powering up along with the exhaust fan (at max speed) but the display was not coming. I noticed that there was a leakage current in all my ports(USB,Projector etc). So i took a wire and shorted the surrounding metal of projector port (that is supposed to be the ground of projector port) with the earth (in my case the earth was the metal table on which my laptop was kept). Then while doing so i started my laptop and fortunately this worked for me and the display started working.
Score
0
October 30, 2015 4:43:28 PM

Spent bout half an trying all these methods until i just pressed the power button a couple times in quick taps and out of nowhere my laptop booted up and is up and running. Hope this method helps anyone.

Score
0
December 28, 2015 7:07:09 AM

i am using a ASUS X556U i cant remove the battery but pressing down the start button long enough shuts down my entire laptop thanks but i had to do it twice
Score
0
Related resources
Tom’s guide in the world
  • Germany
  • France
  • Italy
  • Ireland
  • UK
Follow Tom’s guide
Subscribe to our newsletter
  • add to twitter
  • add to facebook
  • ajouter un flux RSS