Use of Dell AC Adapter on a Gateway

My friend has a Gateway laptop with a bad AC Adapter. I have a spare 90 watts Dell AC Adapter that I can give him. The wattage is ok; he needs only 65 watts. The connector end that plugs into the laptops is different. We can splice the Gateway end onto the Dell adapter cord so that the adapter fits into the Gateway.

My questions are:

1) Do Dell AC Adapters have anything proprietary in their adapters that prevent them for being used in other devices? (Like a control circuit). The reason I ask this is because I am aware that Dell fans are wired differently and replacements other than Dell require re-wiring.

2) Has anyone done this? If so, what is involved to get it to work?

This is what prompted my question: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS359&q=Using+Dell+AC+adapter+for+Gateway&gs_upl=53925l66894l0l68629l33l33l0l20l1l0l626l2522l1.10.1.5-1l13l0&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=7582417124071554328&sa=X&ei=hoN8Tqq_F4L50gHeuvzzDw&ved=0CEkQ8wIwAw

Thank you in advance.

Solution
You should be fine BUT as jivdis1x indicated YOU observer the Correct polarity.
Most Laptop AC adaptors are 19 volt and can provide upto 4+ amps.

The regulator circuit is inside the laptop. The AC adaptors may have around 22 V out with no load and as the load current increases the output voltage drops.

Most laptops come with a car addaptor which only approx 13.6V, but current may be higher than the 4+ for an AC adaptor.

jivdis1x

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
If the voltage are the same. There is no proprietary circuitry in the power brick. The power rating and current rating show how much that can be output. You can draw anything below that number. Therefore, it is just fine to use. Make sure to test the conductor for polarity. Good Luck.

RetiredChief

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
You should be fine BUT as jivdis1x indicated YOU observer the Correct polarity.
Most Laptop AC adaptors are 19 volt and can provide upto 4+ amps.

The regulator circuit is inside the laptop. The AC adaptors may have around 22 V out with no load and as the load current increases the output voltage drops.

Most laptops come with a car addaptor which only approx 13.6V, but current may be higher than the 4+ for an AC adaptor.

Solution

Thank you Chief for the info. Prior to posting, I checked the voltage 19.4V and the adapter is rated for 90 watts (the Gateway takes only 65 watts). I will pay attention to the polarity and ensure that the spliced wires (splices) are staggered.