Solved! Seeking help replacing my G72GX-RBBX05

Wrstlr316

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
Before I answer the form letter questions let me say that currently I own a ASUS G72GX-RBBX05, which has the white screen flicker problem that has been noted on many websites, youtube videos, etc. When it works without the screen flicker, I really like it a lot. When it flickers, not so much. I would like to get a laptop that is either comparable to it in performance or better, I would prefer the better obviously since I am buying new, why not go for upgrades as well. Anyways on to the form letter, and thanks in advance for any advice...

1. What is your budget?

Around $1,000 or less.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

Would prefer 17.3 at least, however if I can get a better laptop with a little bit smaller screen I would consider that too.

3. What screen resolution do you want?

Would like 1920 X 1080, however from what I've seen, a lot of the laptops in the price range only go to 1600 X 900, but I thought someone may know of one that gets a better gaming resolution as I am told a lot of games don't support 1600 X 900.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Desktop Replacement > Portable, however as long as it plays games well, it could be considered either.

5. How much battery life do you need?

I usually have an electrical plug wherever I try to use my laptop, so battery life isn't too much of a concern, however the best life I can get for the money would be nice, just in case the power goes out or I decide to use it where there is no available plugs.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Yes I do, I would like it to play RIFT, World of Warcraft, Runes of Magic, and Star Wars: The old Republic... Obviously I would love to run them on max settings, I mean who wouldn't, but I understand that for the price it really isn't a realistic request, but I want to AT LEAST run them on Medium.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

Watching Blu-Ray's (If possible due to price restrictions), DvD's, some minor Photo and Video editing (I am far from a professional in that aspect), then basically just web surfing and such.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

7200 > 5400 preferred however from what I have read the difference is minimal, would love to hear your opinions on that, either way I would like to have minimum of 500 GB

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

N/A

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

As long as possible, but no real set time frame.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

At least a DVD Writer, but would like to have a Bluray player.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I like HP, Dell, Sony, and Toshiba. Reason being I have heard mostly good things about them from people who have owned them or have personally owned some of them in the past.

I really don't want another ASUS due to the problems I have had with this one, I know there are good and bad in all brands, but the thought of buying another one after this one has crapped the bed in this little amount of time doesn't set well with me.

13. What country do you live in?

U.S.A. and really don't want to buy from anywhere outside it either, due to warranty and repair reasons.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I like the HP 4 yr no matter fault in house warranty, so anything close to that would be great, I am not including the cost of it in the price above, but don't want to get gouged on the price for the warranty either.

If you need / want to know anything more feel free to ask and I will try to check back as often as possible. Thanks again... J

Solution
Hello and welcome to the forum,

As far as gaming laptops go, the following are dedicated gaming lines:
Sager (Clevo), Asus, MSI, Dell:Alienware, Toshiba:Qosmio.

Those will definitely feature gaming level GPUs and the rest of the components will be on par.

Since you've already had an asus, and if you can verify that the flicker problem isn't present in later models (G73/74) then I'd say go with that. From what I understand besides the flicker the machine worked great for you. G74

Other options to consider

Sager NP8170
MSI G780
Toshiba: Qosmio X770
Dell: Alienware M18x - can't remember now it's 17"-18" laptop with glowing alien heads etc (can't link to dell so just head to their website it's pretty self...

AntiZig

Distinguished
Hello and welcome to the forum,

As far as gaming laptops go, the following are dedicated gaming lines:
Sager (Clevo), Asus, MSI, Dell:Alienware, Toshiba:Qosmio.

Those will definitely feature gaming level GPUs and the rest of the components will be on par.

Since you've already had an asus, and if you can verify that the flicker problem isn't present in later models (G73/74) then I'd say go with that. From what I understand besides the flicker the machine worked great for you. G74

Other options to consider

Sager NP8170
MSI G780
Toshiba: Qosmio X770
Dell: Alienware M18x - can't remember now it's 17"-18" laptop with glowing alien heads etc (can't link to dell so just head to their website it's pretty self explanatory)

As far as general recommendations, I think majority of todays laptops will come in 1920x1080 resolution (those full HD screens you know)
plenty of games support that resolution so you should have little problems

HDD speed - as you pointed out yourself, faster rpm is better but it's not that much of a difference, some people will claim it is, I personally haven't noticed any. The bigger question today is HDD vs SSD, because that's where you'll see the most performance difference.

typically most gaming laptops start out with something like i7-2630, GTX560M/HD6970M, 8Gb Ram. Rest is up to you, oftentimes you'll be able to configure on the website and see what the options are and what the prices are.

Solution

Wrstlr316

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
Thanks for the welcome, and I appreciate the feedback, I was wondering tho, do you get better performance out of say a 16 inch screen or so than you do a 17 inch one or does that usually only mean better portability ?

Also I was wondering if anyone has any experience with gaming on the Toshiba Satellite or MSI F series as they seem to be a little more in my price range. I really like the ones you listed but unless I catch them on sale they are just a bit out of the price range I would like to spend.